Roaming with Three

by 3 Moderator ‎19-07-2017 12:09 PM - edited ‎09-10-2017 01:00 PM (2,648 Views)

Roaming with Three.jpg

What is data roaming?

Data roaming is the term we use when you browse the internet on your phone while abroad. You use data every time you use the internet on your phone – whether you’re checking email, browsing Instagram or streaming music.

When you go abroad for either business or pleasure, you’ll usually receive a text informing you how much it’ll cost to use data, call or text in that country. To make sure you’re set up for roaming on your phone and to check the roaming rates where you’re headed, read on.

Before you go

• Travelling within the EU: All of our plans include an EU data allowance. For example, our €20 prepay deal includes 5GB roaming and our bill pay plans include up to 7GB roaming allowance. If you’re not sure how much your plan includes, you can check your roaming allowance on your My3 account, listed with your other allowances. For more details on EU roaming and a full list of which countries you can use your EU data allowance in, check out three.ie/roaming.
  • Travelling outside the EU: Customers can roam in any country that Three has a roaming agreement in, but will be charged for all data use. You can learn more about Three’s roaming profiles here.
  • Check out our international roaming rates here.

When you arrive

• Once you’ve touched down at your destination, turn your data roaming on:
    • For iPhone: Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options, and ensure ‘Data Roaming’ is turned on.
    • For Android: Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Data Roaming.
    • For Windows: Go to Settings > Mobile Network > Data Roaming Options.
  • If you’re having trouble when roaming, check out our roaming troubleshooting guide.
  • You can check your usage and allowance at any time on My3 – on our website or on the app.
  • Need to top up? Use our instant top up service while abroad.

Worried about overspending?

Don’t stress, because there is a default limit on data roaming which Three applies to all accounts unless you choose otherwise. The limit is €61.50 (incl. VAT) per monthly billing period. If you’ve questions about this data limit or wish to change it, simply get in touch with us by PM or webchat.

If you’re visiting a country outside the EU and don’t want to use up too much data, avoid watching videos, streaming and downloading large files. Where possible use Wi-Fi, and turn off automatic app updates. You can also turn off your data roaming completely.

For more info on Roaming, see our Roaming FAQs.

Have a question about roaming? PM a community mod and we'll help you out. 

Ashling

Ashling

Ashling is the 3Community's resident wordsmith. With a passion for social media, innovative technology and all things mobile, she fills the 3Community with articles about tech news, app reviews and tips and tricks to make your life a little easier.

You can contact Ashling here.

Comments
by
on ‎03-09-2017 11:19 PM

Just back from a few days in the UK, my first trip to another EU country since roaming charges were scrapped. I'm on the BeFree Internet plan and had topped up before I visited, so I expected data roaming would just work. I was wrong.

I checked data roaming was enabled on my Android phone (Moto X), I manually connected to the Three UK network (after initially trying on the automatically selected network O2 UK), but I was unable to use any data at all for the duration of my trip... it just kept telling me I had no internet connection.

What did I miss?

by 3 Moderator
on ‎04-09-2017 10:47 AM

@scottishwildcat Could you PM your full name, address, number and date of birth and I'll make sure everything is set up on your account for roaming?

by
on ‎07-09-2017 04:35 PM

@StephenDid so on Monday, but I see you haven't even read the PM yet... I'm off to the EU again next week and would be good to get the bottom of this before then, if possible.

by 3 Moderator
on ‎07-09-2017 04:45 PM

We got back to your PM on Monday afternoon 👍

by
‎07-09-2017 11:41 PM - edited ‎08-09-2017 12:08 AM

@Joolz Well I've had no message notifications, and my Inbox list shows no PMs received since June last year. So could you resend, please?

by 3 Moderator
on ‎08-09-2017 09:39 AM

Hi scottishwildcat, I've resent the PM there. Can you let me know if you get it, please? I've checked the account in relation to your query and you are all set up to roam. Were you able to make calls and send texts while roaming in the UK? 

by
on ‎08-09-2017 03:21 PM

Thanks, got it this time. I didn't have to make any calls in the UK, but yes, I sent at least one text, which I know was received.

jQuery UI Accordion - Default functionality