Tip of the Week: Use Maps Offline

by 3 Moderator ‎11-07-2017 01:34 PM - edited ‎11-07-2017 01:36 PM (295 Views)

Three Tip of the Week.png

Tip of the Week: Use maps offline

Why should I do this?

We all rely on our smartphone maps to get around these days, particularly if we’re walking around a new city or driving while on holiday.  If you’re roaming this summer, using a map app offline is a really handy way to get around, while also reducing your data use abroad.

It’s also useful if you’re in a city with a subway system such as New York or London – no need to wait until you’re above ground to figure out where you are!

How do I do this?

There are a couple of great apps that work offline – read on for more info.

Google Maps

The most popular map app is, of course, Google Maps, available for free on both Android and iOS.

Make sure you have the most recent version of Google Maps, and simply search for the name or address of your destination. Click on it when you’ve found it, and tap the three vertical dots in the right-hand corner. You’ll then see an option for ‘Save offline map’, and you can then download the map.

If you wish to save directions, you’ll need to have an internet connection while you search for them. Once you have the directions, they’ll remain on your screen even if you’re offline.

Google Maps 1.PNGGoogle Maps 2.PNG

Maps.me

Maps.me is an alternative map app which is great for travelling, as it’s specifically created for offline use.

To use it, you’ll need to search for and download the map you’ll be using abroad while you have an internet connection. You can download entire countries, or just the cities you’ll be visiting.

Once you have the map downloaded it will work offline, allowing you to search and find landmarks, restaurants, hotels, shops, parking and much more while you travel. It can even tell you where the nearest Wi-Fi connection is. In addition, you can use the app for directions and navigation, and save places as starred destinations.

Maps.me is free to download from the App Store and the Google Play Store.

Maps me 1.PNGMaps me 2.PNG

Have a handy smartphone tip? Let us know in the comments! 

Ashling

Ashling

Ashling is the 3Community's resident wordsmith. With a passion for social media, innovative technology and all things mobile, she fills the 3Community with articles about tech news, app reviews and tips and tricks to make your life a little easier.

You can contact Ashling here.

jQuery UI Accordion - Default functionality