Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

How to: Choose a New Phone

LauraH
3 Mod Retired

Choose a new Phone.png

Time for an upgrade and don’t know where to start? Choosing a phone can be a big decision these days! So, we have put together some tips to help you choose a phone that’s right for you.

To get started, other than calls or texts, you need to ask yourself some basic questions:

• Do I want internet access?
  • Do I use social media?
  • Do I want to use apps, such as games, maps and organisers?
  • Do I want to make Play Store or App Store purchases?
  • Do I use my camera a lot?

If you answered yes to any or all of the above, then you are looking for a smartphone!

Helpful tip: Remember to use our Device Guides to find out more about each device, including interactive instructions on how to perform various tasks on a specific device.

So, which smartphone is best for you? Here are the top things to consider:

Operating System

There are three different operating systems available at the minute:

• iOS for Apple iPhones
  • HMS on the latest Huawei
  • Google Android on all other smartphones

Already using one of these and want to stay put, or ready to change things up a bit? Have a think about it, and do a little bit of research to figure out which one will work best for you.

Camera

Is having a good camera important to you? If yes, let’s take a look at some of the different camera features to consider.

Three_Laur_0-1600429738868.png

• Megapixels – the resolution of your photos
  • Sensor – most important feature, produces the image
  • Modes – the different ways to shoot your photos
  • Front camera – anyone for a selfie?

Have a look at our online shop and make sure to take note of the above when making your decision because a good camera creates great photos that you can post all over your social media!

Screen Size

Depending on what you will be using your phone for, screen size could be an important aspect to consider. If you regularly use your phone for watching movies or television, then a large screen is a must-have! Did you know the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra has a massive 6.8 inch screen? Wow!

Three_Niall_0-1695815025182.png

Storage

Storage is another big part of your new phone that you need to think about. Apps, photos, music, files, and videos all use your phone’s internal storage. These days, you can get internal storage anywhere from 8GB up to 512GB, so there is loads to choose from. Some phones will also have the option of adding additional storage via a memory card.

Battery Life

What you need to look out for here is battery size – the bigger the battery, the longer the battery life. Nobody wants their phone to die just as they get on the bus for that hour-long journey home from work! Other things to look into here are wireless charging and fast charging, which can be very useful features to have.

Three_Laur_2-1600429738889.png

Now, let’s get shopping!

Here at Three, we offer a wide range of both Prepay and Bill Pay smartphones on our online shop.

Keep an eye out, as we often offer exclusive online-only deals for our lovely customers 😉 For further information on using our online shop and tracking your order, read our blog about online orders

If you are already a Three customer and wish to upgrade your phone, check out All About: Upgrading your Bill Pay Phone for information on checking your upgrade eligibility.

If you would prefer to pick up a new phone at a Three store, you can find your nearest store using our Store Locator.

Also, we have mentioned external storage and wireless chargers, so don’t forget to have a look at our accessories page for lots of options! 

Support

Once you have received your brand new handset, take a look at the 3MadeEasy section of our 3Community, which has some handy blogs to help you set up your new phone and SIM.

And if you still have a query that hasn't been answered here, why not ask a new question on one of our devices boards?