What is data roaming?
Data roaming is the term we use when you browse the internet on your phone while abroad. You use data every time you use the internet on your phone – whether you’re checking email, browsing Instagram or streaming music.
When you go abroad for either business or pleasure, you’ll usually receive a text informing you how much it’ll cost to use data, call or text in that country. To make sure you’re set up for roaming on your phone and to check the roaming rates where you’re headed, read on.
Before you go
- Travelling within the EU: Most of our plans include an EU data allowance. If you’re not sure how much your plan includes, you can check your roaming allowance on your My3 account, listed with your other allowances. For more details on EU roaming and a full list of which countries you can use your EU data allowance in, check out three.ie/roaming.
- Travelling outside the EU: Customers can roam in any country that Three has a roaming agreement in, but will be charged for all data use. Check out our international roaming rates here.
When you arrive
- Once you’ve touched down at your destination, turn your data roaming on:
- For iPhone: Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options, and ensure ‘Data Roaming’ is turned on.
- For Android: Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Data Roaming.
- For Windows: Go to Settings > Mobile Network > Data Roaming Options.
- If you’re having trouble when roaming, check out our roaming troubleshooting guide.
- You can check your usage and allowance at any time on My3 – on our website or on the app.
- Need to top up? Use our instant top up service while abroad.
Worried about overspending?
Don’t stress, because there is a default limit on data roaming which Three applies to all accounts unless you choose otherwise. The limit is €61.50 (incl. VAT) per monthly billing period. If you’ve questions about this data limit or wish to change it, simply get in touch with us by PM or webchat.
If you’re visiting a country outside the EU and don’t want to use up too much data, avoid watching videos, streaming and downloading large files. Where possible use Wi-Fi, and turn off automatic app updates. You can also turn off your data roaming completely.
For more info on Roaming, see our Roaming FAQs.
Have a question about roaming? PM a community mod and we'll help you out.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.