Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Hotspot / tethering

Meph
Investigator

Hotspot / tethering

I see the T&Cs for unlimited data now state no tethering:

"The Service is available for use with your SIM Card in your handset only. Tethering or use of your handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed, except in the case of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle offering. In the event that we identify that you have breached this condition, Three reserves the right to suspend, modify or restrict your use of the Service or to withdraw your access to the Service at its absolute discretion."

Is this a new change since lifting the fair usage limit during COVID-19? Because I'm pretty sure I only stayed with 3 because my contract allowed me to occasionally hotspot (Unlimited Flex Max SIMO).
8 REPLIES 8
Meph
Investigator

I also note this recent thread stated that you can hotspot on unlimited data:

https://community.three.ie/t5/Android/Hotspot-tethering/td-p/764750

Hotspots were always unsupported on Three

Really? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that someone (can't recall if it was a shop or on the phone) told me I could. Given the previous replies about hotspots on these very forums it is clear that there is some confusion. Ah well, time to look for another network. These sorts of blanket bans are very short sighted.

Its not really a ban, Three dont "support" it as its device specific and can lead to more traffic on the network.

But they dont block it either

TomD
Investigator

I asked two reps today as am soon.out of contract.I   Both told me in no uncertain terms tethering was a breech of contract. I know last time I renewed my contract had to revert to my old contract plan as couldn't tether on newer contract plans... its a deal breaker for me as Three said even for the less 500mb a month of tethered  data I use I would have to buy a data device and pay a further 30 euro a month...staying on existing contract is extortion as its expensive, with limited data and minimal discount on a new phone...

Three methinks quite happy to lose customers who have bee  with them for 15plus years  I.e way back in tbe o2 years.  They were a much more progressive company 10 years ago...

@TomD Hi Tom,  I wouldn't say that tethering is a breech of contact. We'd recommend that you don't use it, simply because we don't support tethering. This means if you have difficulties with tethering/hotspot, we can't help you! 

You can certainly change to an All You Can Eat data plan and use the hotspot feature. You won't be charged for this data use, well in Ireland 😄 Many members on 3Community have used their hotspot feature/are using their hotspot feature, no bothers. and then again, if there is a bother, we don't support tethering/hotspotting only mobile or broadband data.

PS I've been around from way back when 10 years or more 😎 and if memory serves a tethering add-on of 15GB was around €20 on top of a monthly plan! 

I think I paid 50€ for 500MB back in ye olde  O2 days.

As @Three_Deborah  says tethering was never  not supported by Three or ( O2 )  but they never stopped people from using it.

I was told by THREE (pardon the pun) separate agents this week that o tether was a breech of contract. All threw the terms and conditions statement at me..... One went to say I would be charged extra if 'caught' .  When you weigh what the community agents say and the support agents say I can only conclude the policy  "We don't allow tethering but you're fine you can tether until we catch you or we manage to block the feature..."