Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Unlocking upgrade phone

SOLVED
Michael92
Investigator

Unlocking upgrade phone

Hi,

I recently upgraded, and submitted a request to unlock my new phone.I had been out of my previous Three contract, so I signed up for a new contract, Bill Pay 300 for 24 months. I spoke to a chat agent who said there would be no charge for unlocking my new phone, but I read the Unlocking policy and that isn't clear. Can I confirm that I won't be charged for unlocking?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

@Michael92 thanks for sending in all your details.Now to get back to your original question in relation to your situation a.k.a unlocking criteria for Billpay customers 😊 Remember that criteria is subject to change! 

First time Billpay customers on a contract ( phone included) who request an unlocking code need to have at least 9 bills paid and up-to-date before an unlock can be issued. Any requests before this, a prepayment is needed. This was also the case for newly upgraded customers and has recently changed 👇

For customers like you @Michael92 who have upgraded to a new phone, meaning you've entered another contract with us and have had at least one consecutive contract with us, your unlock is issued free of a prepayment or reaching 9 months fully paid bills. This is a new policy and the email notification you got was based on the old criteria. But 3community was here to give you a helping hand💪

Let me know when you hear back from our Unlocking team  😊 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@Michael92 Afternoon to you 👋 there's different criteria for Billpay and Prepay. Generally, Prepay has a minimum top-up requirement before the registered phone can be unlocked and that amount differs from current to legacy plans. So yes, I see where it can be a bit confusing. I'm here to help you with that. First, tell me the plan you were on previously and how long you were on that. From this info, I'll  let you know the exact criteria 👌

Oh and you might find our 3MadeEasy blog about unlocking useful 👇

All about: Unlocking your phone or router 

Hi Deborah, thanks for getting back to me! I was previously on 3 Classic Flex Max. That contract originally commenced June or July 2015. I think I upgraded once since then, staying on 3 Classic Flex Max. I was out of that contract sometime last year. I signed up to Bill Pay 300 on 23 January and got an iPhone XR as part of signing up again.

I had applied for an unlock, and received an email today saying there would be a charge, but I also spoke to an agent on chat yesterday, and he indicated there wouldn't be any charge, hence my confusion 🙂 Happy to forward both the email and chat transcript if that's of any use?

Thanks,

Michael

@Michael92 

That's great info, cheers! In my experience, our Billpay customers get an email informing of, let's call it; an unlock fee ( up to €150 ) because the IMEI supplied was either an insurance replacement or a Prepay phone, used with a Billpay account ( rather than another upgrade). Can you remember if your second phone bought straight up or if was replaced at any stage?

Either way, I'm able to help you 😊 

Hi Deborah, that's good to hear! When I joined Three in 2015, I got a HTC One, then when I signed up to another 24 month contract in 2018, I got a Samsung as an upgrade (both were free I think).

The email I got in response to unlocking the iPhone I just bought didn't specify an amount.

Thanks,

Michael  

@Michael92 

Just a thought 🤔 Isn't the iPhone XR a dual SIM phone?  Have you tried a SIM from a different network in the phone? 

Yes, did that, no luck, it's locked, alas!

@Michael92 Good morning, your previous phones are out of contract and you can request the unlock codes, with no charge.With new contracts, there needs to be several bills paid first before the unlock is granted. A few of our new phones are unlocked already, especially those with dual SIMs - but not all! I want to take a look at your account. Will you send me a PM with your full name, number, IMEI, address and date of birth? 

@Michael92 thanks for sending in all your details.Now to get back to your original question in relation to your situation a.k.a unlocking criteria for Billpay customers 😊 Remember that criteria is subject to change! 

First time Billpay customers on a contract ( phone included) who request an unlocking code need to have at least 9 bills paid and up-to-date before an unlock can be issued. Any requests before this, a prepayment is needed. This was also the case for newly upgraded customers and has recently changed 👇

For customers like you @Michael92 who have upgraded to a new phone, meaning you've entered another contract with us and have had at least one consecutive contract with us, your unlock is issued free of a prepayment or reaching 9 months fully paid bills. This is a new policy and the email notification you got was based on the old criteria. But 3community was here to give you a helping hand💪

Let me know when you hear back from our Unlocking team  😊 

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for all your help with this! I just received the email from the Unlocking team.

Thanks again,

Michael