Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie

keeping my number

SOLVED
Anonymous
Not applicable

keeping my number

I'm so frustrated with what should be v simple and is anything but...while keeping the old SIM in the phone, I type in the number I want to keep and receive a porting validation code. I olug this in.Then it asks for the temporary number. I plug this in. Of course because I don't have that SIM in, I can't see that verification code yet. I then take out the old SIM (with the no I want to keep), and insert the new SIM (with the temporary no). The only option then is a restart. When the phone restarts with the temp SIM in, the verification code shows up. I go to the website and plug in the new verification code and I keep getting a message to say that doesn't match. I look and I'm back at step 1 again and no longer on steo 2. I've tried a variety of ways of plugging in the different SIM numbers and verification codes, but keep getting messages saying they don't match.

How on earth am I supposed to do this if the phone has to restart? I don't have another '3' phone in the house and I'm sick and can't go to a store. There must be a way of fixing this...ive already wasted lots of time holding and speaking to really helpful people (when I do get to SPEAK to a person) and they can't talk me through it over the phone cos I have to swap SIM cards.

Frankly I'm fed up cos I've tried this 4 times and my husband has tried it too and neither of us can figure it out- would it be so hard for the tech guys putting the explanations to expect that non-technical people use phones. I'm v good at what I do. It just doesn't include speaking the necessary language to know instinctively how to do this - I've also been given the run around by 3 cos it was never explained to me that when 3 took over O2, I'm still treated as an O2 customer, even though my payment comes out as 3. So I have to be transferred to a different dept than the number I've been holding for and be on hold for another 28 mins after that. It was also not obvious that since my 2 year old phone was bought under O2, then technically I'm changing networks and have to unlock my ohone. This I could have requested when I ordered the SIM if it had been explained to me, but since I don't speak fluent '3' or 'O2' I didn't know to ask, and the person on the phone didn't tell me. Neither did anyone explain when I ordered my new SIM, and it wasn't included in a simple piece of paper with the SIM when it arrived, that instead of going to setting up my new SIM, which seemed obvious to me as id just received a new SIM in the post, I should have gone to keeping my number. That whole process took nearly an hour and a half on a Friday evening cos I spent most of it on hold going back and forth between different departments.

On top of this, my old bill of e60/month has just arrived for e213 cos when I went over my 8gb allowance, I didn't know that it cost e60+vat for each 1gb used over the limit. I got the over the limit text. But at no time if I'd realised it was gonna cost e120 for just 2gb more would I have even entertained letting my kids do downloads and watch Netflix. Silly me for not being aware of such a small item in the t+c's that makes 3 such a lot of money. I've been trying to get this new SIM working for the last week, and in the meantime I've just discovered that this week, when I didn't realise I was over my 8gb allowance already, I let my kids use my phone as a hotspot. I've just seen that that stupid mistake has cost me e172+vat for that single days internet. I saw the out of 8gb message that evening and cut off the hotspot. I got the message at 17.42. I saw it later that evening. I'm v curious how e172 worth of data can be used by 2 kids in a few hours...

Anyway, rant over

If anyone can help me that would be great. I don't have a lot of faith in 3 at the moment and the online 'help' and phone 'help' still hasn't helped me set up my new SIM using my old number

Thanks very much
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer
Stephen
3 Staff

Hi Fiona 👋 Could you send me on your number, the temp number, your address and date of birth in a PM and I'll check this out for you 👍

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Stephen
3 Staff

Hi Fiona 👋 Could you send me on your number, the temp number, your address and date of birth in a PM and I'll check this out for you 👍

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

My friend visited and we put the temp SIM in her phone. Thanks. There should be a way to do it if u don't have 2 phones

Good to hear you got sorted Fiona. If you need anything else just come back to us here.

Hi, I'm having the same issue where I'm trying to transfer my number to 3, but am unable to receive the code on my old sim, as I only have one phone. Can I get some help on this please? 

Three_Laur
3 Community Admin

@Ellen5 Hello there, welcome to 3Community. In order to move your number to Three, we must first verify the number by sending a text message. Can you pop your SIM into the phone to retrieve the text and then swap it back? 

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm still unable to transfer the number. I get to Step 4 Request Submitted, but get a message saying "Sorry You're request wasn't successful". 

Three_Laur
3 Community Admin

@Ellen5 That sounds like there's an existing port request already active. Pop me a PM with your temporary number, the number you're porting to 3, your full name, address and date of birth so I can take a look. 

Big thanks again to @Three_Laur  who successfully resolved the issue. Old number is now ported to 3; delighted! Your work on this is greatly appreciated 🙂

Three_Laur
3 Community Admin

@Ellen5 You're very welcome, always happy to help 😁