Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

4G broadband - Full 5 bars - atrocious speeds

JamieRay1
Investigator

4G broadband - Full 5 bars - atrocious speeds

Don't post the link to the broadband troubleshooting page or "how to improve your connection!" rubbish, I've seen it all and done it all and it doesn't help. I've been in contact with 3 support multiple times and it's always the same. "Just reset your modem to fix the issue :)". Never works. 3 Support got in touch with some technicians to have a look at my connection and my modem to see if there was any issue, which according to them, there isn't. I barely even get 1 Mbps, how are you allowed to sell me a service like this?? This is literally dial-up era internet speeds? What the point of paying for a service I can barely use? I can't watch a video without it buffering literally every second, images take upwards of 20-30 seconds to load, youtube videos default to 144p quality. 144p? Is this a joke? Just can not comprehend how a service can be this bad yet people still buy it. Stuck in a 2 year contract with this absolute rubbish. Literally scam.

11 REPLIES 11

I'll give it a try. I got the modem around October 2020. I didn't notice anything really until maybe a few weeks, maybe a month after I got it. The thing is, my speeds were fine in the beginning, eventually they started getting slower and slower. However, while playing an online game my connection would be stable. Very recently it seems that even my connection isn't stable anymore resulting in my ping spiking frequently in games. I am the only person using my modem, and I am connected via ethernet cable, so you can rule out other people or WiFi being the issue.

Also I have taken into account the fact that there will be times where my connection is slower due to peak-times. However, do you really think someone with a 5-bar 4G connection should be getting speeds of 0.17, 0.28 Mbps? It doesn't make any sense. You could literally go make a cup of tea and come back and the webpage you wanted to open still hasn't loaded. Youtube literally defaults video quality to 144p, and rightly so, because any higher quality and the video will buffer every second. I get that this is supposed to be an affordable internet service, but surely there is a middle ground where it is both affordable AND actually usable. This internet package is of no use to me if I can only use it between midnight and midday. 

@JamieRay1 Thanks so much for giving 3G only a try for a few days, let's see how that goes. Take some screenshots of your speed tests for when you report back to us 👍