Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5G NR Disconnection Loop/ Range limit?

HyperViz0r98
Investigator

5G NR Disconnection Loop/ Range limit?

Now that I've got my 4G signal back thanks to @LauraH   😊 I was working on trying to get my 5G to work now since I've just bought an S20 FE 5G and done a lot of testing on the 5G network so far. It's very impressive when you drive near to the island itself and run speedtests , had multiple 300+ Mbps ones on Nperf, but I'm having an issue at home with the connection constantly flickering between a solid 5G background icon, and an outlined one.  I have some service mode readouts from my testing. 

From what I've been told, the 5G NR band Three uses 3.5 Ghz, so this band is using (TDD) time division duplex , so that means it requires synchronisation between the device's upload timings and the time slots. 

According to this document  https://www.gsma.com/spectrum/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/3.5-GHz-5G-TDD-Synchronisation.pdf 

The 5G cells seem to have a max limit of  10.7km  unless specially configured otherwise. This would contradict the coverage map for this part of Donegal, Arranmore is the only 5G NR site listed unless there is another 5G NR site that isn't listed on Comreg? Can you confirm /deny that? It would make sense because I am connecting to a different cell driving through Loughanure with a 4000m LTE timing advance which is different to what I get at home. 

So anyway my issue is, it wont maintain the connection despite having the adequate signal, it will keep dropping over and over in a loop, So I am wondering is my connection dropping because of there being a max range limit? Because I definitely have signal, I managed to get 5G NR speedtests of 157 Mbps on my mobile which is crazy, but then the next one was only 5 mbps because it's dropping back to LTE-A . 

I'll attach my cell readout's as well the the 5G NR signal that shows for the split second it connects for , 

5G NR signal readout from house window.

So to rule out signal being weak,  I even strapped my phone to the LNB on a parabolic satellite dish and aimed it at the mast, it boosted my signal to the same RSRP I had when I was directly across the water from the Arranmore mast testing 5G on my phone. The connection still continued to flap so signal isn't the issue. You can also see the "LTE Timing advance" is 8112 meters,  So I am about 15 KM away from the mast , but it'll briefly connect long enough to do a 157 Mbps speedtest but thats about it. So is it because there is an enforced range limit for connection?

In my cell information readouts I notice while its flickering between the solid background icon and outlined one  the "5G State" keeps swapping between NOT_RESTRICTED and CONNECTED.

Also it may not be relevant, but on the cell ID 1 sector, For example band 3 cannot be set as the primary band  anymore i.e say the router  aggregates (3) + 3+ 1 , it will link flap/connection will drop in a loop. Its an issue that arised back in early october on this sector. But band 1 will work as the primary band. (1) + 3 + 3     [525+1700 + 1275] EARFCN. But it is not an issue on the other band 3 cells on a different sector on the same mast. (3)+3+1 works totally fine on those others sectors. Really weird one...  Something happened back then where it broke some of the carrier aggregation combos.   Never used to be an issue before that. Not sure why it happened. 

Sorry for all the long explanation/questions but it's a complex issue and I just wanted to provide as much detail as I can. Hopefully you can forward it onto the tech team like you did with our 4G issues, and maybe I can get some information on this, thanks again 😄

14 REPLIES 14

Perfect, thank youu for the update 😊

@HyperViz0r98 Good morning 👋 I'm back to you with an update! Our tech team have had a look into your query and it turns out you are on the very edge of the 5G limit from that site, that's why you're finding the signal to be intermittent. You can see this on our coverage checker too and keep an eye on it in the future as 5G is rolled out further 👍

Thanks for the update. I don't suppose there's anyway they can increase the range limit slightly? 😞  It's a shame because the 5G signal is actually good ,  it's only because a range limit that is being enforced that is preventing me from maintaining connection despite having strong 5G signal. Unfortunately that mast is probably my only hope of 5G ever coming here because there's only mountains in every other direction that block line of sight to Gweedore and anywhere else , really rural area. So future roll out will unlikely be providing us with anything unless maybe it is brought to Dungloe.  That would cut the distance in half to about 6-7 KM as opposed to 15Km from Arranmore. 

Unfortunately with 5g you there needs to be more antennas than 4g,as 5g uses higher frequencies they don't travel as far, so the solution is more antennas. For 5g they will be "hidden" in street lights on electricity poles etc

I believe you're talking about mmWave 5G that requires multiple small cells to improve coverage and would be on things like street lights etc, but that would only be for urban areas and  Three is not currently using 26 Ghz 5G yet , they're using the mid band 3.6 Ghz spectrum which has a range of about 10-12KM unless specified otherwise.  5G NR Band 78 is the only 5G band that I'm aware of that's deployed in Ireland atm on all 3 operators.   They will probably auction off 700 Mhz and 26 Ghz later next year.