Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5G home Broadband sim provisioning

CivilEx
Investigator

5G home Broadband sim provisioning

Hi, I have had the 5G home broadband package for 8 months, where I received the CPE Pro router from Three at the start of my contract. I was in a 5G broadband coverage area (Galway city centre) when I signed up to the plan, but then moved to a non 5G broadband area in Mayo (remote working) a few months back. During this time, the 4G speeds on the CPE Pro router have been great at 50MB+ download consistently until this week, when the router starting picking up 5G (5G light on the front of the router now flickers on and off) and the speeds have consistently dropped to about 3MB download, which is far too slow for remote working. I reset the router twice and that hasn't changed anything. I have also tried different apns, but these made no difference.
I have a work mobile 4G broadband MiFi also from Three where I popped it's sim into the CPE Pro router to test it at the same location, and the router speed goes back up to 50MB+ again while connected to 4G.
Next I popped the 5G sim into my Three MiFi and its staying at 3MB+ download at this location.
All this tells me that it's not the CPE Pro router, or the mast that it's connecting to (always cell id 1195776 or 1195856) which are the issue, rather it's the way the 5G sim which is currently set up / provisioned on the Three side.
I'm not reaching any contracted 4G or 5G speeds for the last week or so on my 5G home broadband plan, relying instead on my Three 4G work sim to get by (consistently 50MB+ download speeds while in the CPE Pro router during this time).
I don't think there is anything else I can do to troubleshoot this from my side. What are my options and next steps - is it possible to swop my 5G sim for a 4G sim so that I can move away from the unstable 5G network issues?
2 REPLIES 2
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@CivilEx Hi there, thanks so much for posting so much detail and for the troubleshooting tips you've already tried. That's all really helpful and I'd loved to discuss this with the relevant team on your behalf. To do that I'll need your account details so can you pop me a PM with those (broadband number, full name, address and date of birth)? If it's ok with you we can use those details to access your connections. Once I have an update I'll then come back and post it publicly as it may benefit other members 👌

Hi Laura, I've sent you that detail now