Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5g Broadband router

Toni
Novice

5g Broadband router

Hi,

I am a home worker that lives in the country sick of my landline broadband issues (I should say narrowband). So I decided to give a try to mobile broadband and 2 weeks ago, I got a prepay sim card with 3 MBB Prepay plan to test it.

I chose Three because they already deployed the 5g network in my area and soon it will be available for broadband plans. At least it looks like it will be before other alternatives such as the national broadband plan or low earth orbit satellite ISPs.

It was a great surprise to discover that even with the 4g network and my old Huawei E5377 the experience is much better than my narrowband landline. 

So, with 4g working better than my landline and 5g arriving, the next step is clear, stop waiting for the NBP, cancel the landline and get a 5g router. But, here is my new issue. Which router?

Three doesn't offer a 5g router yet in any of its plans so switching to a bill plan and get a 4g router is not an option. In addition we don't know when 5g would be available for broadband. it could be 1 month or 6.

My current router is not an option neither because it doesn't provide a big WIFI range (it doesn't reach all house) and only allows the connection of 5 devices.

I think the best option for my case is to buy the router myself and switch to a sim only plan. The routers are still quite expensive but with the money that I would save by keeping both it should get compensated in 3 or 4 months.

The question is, if I buy a 5g router now, will it be compatible with three 5g network?

If is a matter of the bands only. I read that the 5g Three network in UK operates with the bands n78 (3400MHZ) and n77 (3600 - 4000 MHZ) is in Ireland the same?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you in advance and kind regards

2 REPLIES 2
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@Toni Hello there and welcome 👋 I'm delighted to hear that you're so happy with our mobile broadband 😃 We haven't launched 5G on our broadband plans yet, keep an eye on our website though, as soon as this is available you'll see it first there 👌

Well, at the moment I solved my issue with a WiFi extender.
Hopefully you'll have soon 5g routers available.
It would be nice if the routers are available even before your 5g network is ready for broadband, so people like me wouldn't have to wait to get a proper router that also would work with 4g meanwhile