Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Bad Broadband

meathleo

Bad Broadband

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve noticed my broadband has gradually deteriorated. I’ve had mobile broadband with 3 since Sept 2019 and while it’s never been amazing, it has been sufficient for work and streaming. It’s not anymore. The service is extremely slow or non-existent.

I’ve tried everything I can. I was getting one bar of 4G which was useless. I set the router to only 3G. I’ve also restored the router settings to default and moved the router to different locations in the house. Nothing improves it. This is not a case of too many devices using it as I’m the only one who uses the broadband. I’ve run 37 speed tests at various times since last Friday and the results are horrendous.

The average download speed is .71Mbps while the average upload is .75Mbps. Even these results are not reflective because of a download spike of 3.57Mbps on one occasion which skews the numbers. As the average shows the upload speed was often the same or higher than the download speed. At times it was twice the rate of the download speed. Sometimes I couldn’t even do a speed test because there was no internet at all. All of this while the router is showing 4 or 5 bars of 3G signal which makes no sense. The router can show full signal on 3G yet a web page or an email won’t open.   

As I mentioned above this is a recent situation. I work from home and up until recently, I’ve been able to do that but not the way things are now. It’s almost as if 3 have started rationing my broadband with reduced speeds and a service that continuously cuts in and out.   

I need to know if this can be improved or if this is how it will be from now on, so I can look for other solutions.

1 REPLY 1
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@meathleo Thanks for trying some steps to help improve your signal as these are the first things we'd advise. The next thing to do is check the mast you tend to connect to. To be accurate about this, I'll need the details of your account 👉 your full name, broadband number, address/EirCode and date of birth. Can you send these to me in PM, please?