Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Broadband speed and ping issue

JamieRay
Novice

Broadband speed and ping issue

Hello, for the past few weeks my broadband speed seems very slow and it seems like it got even slower recently. Sometimes it will take full minutes to load webpages and even longer to load a video even on lowest quality (144p!). The speeds are bad but they get even worse later on in the day. I also have a ping issue, where if I am playing a game or using discord, my ping will be fine (roughly 75- 90) and then spike and constantly go back low and then spike. Smooth web browsing is literally impossible, there is always stutters and lags and buffers no matter what I do or how little devices are connected. It almost seems like my broadband is being throttled. I remember the first month I got this broadband the speeds were almost always very good and then it started to get worse and worse. Please fix this issue thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
paddie
Novice

same here been like that for weeks now. messaged three many times n reply. phone internet even worse than broadband. hope you get some response to this not nice to be ignored.

@paddie and @JamieRay Hi there, have you both had a look at our #3MadeEasy blog on how to improve your broadband signal 👉 click here. Other 3Community members have found it helpful. Take a look and let me know how you get on. 

I have 5 bar signal all the time as I live a few hundred metres from three
mast. There are multiple bill pay phones in the house all have same speeds
less than 1mbps in evenings maybe a little higher during the day. have
modem set to 3g only its the only way I can get any working internet. Have
tried all the troubleshootings options resetting modem and all that no
difference. I can get 20mbps download speed even with 3g only at 3am when
i should be in bed. I am no technician but I would suggest this is a
contention issue. Thanks for your reply your the only person at three who
has taken an interest in this.

@paddie  Thanks for sending back all that detail, it's very handy. I want to check the mast that you're connecting to so pop me a PM with your broadband number, full name, address and date of birth to get the ball rolling 👍

Pat44
Investigator

I have similar issue with speed but this is ongoing for couple of months and now its even worse then it was, from 4pm till probably morning and during the day my download average are between 0.5-2Mb was 5Mb max and upload are max 0.3 usually 0.1 and 0.0 so 5 times refresh to go to website and many times can't even run speed test. I opened few tickets about this and usually I got the same:

- restart modem

- factory default

- walk around house

- point to the mast

No real solution to the problem in past I got information for service limitation in my location but now its much worse then it was and I'm looking to cancel this contract but I cannot find any information what are the limits which 3 guarantee for the speeds so you can at least browse and work.

Chat is nightmare to deal with as there are few people who just close tickets for numbers with above advises without going even to technical support to check the line so I do not recommend to do any troubleshooting over chat.   I'm living close to Wicklow town so lots of hills and I can see I'm in 4G area in which is should get up to 100Mb in each direction.

Hi Pat 44. Try setting your modem to 3g only. you might get a few meg.more
although you will get slower upload speed. This clearly is contention issue
too many customers on same mast. Three will not admit to or will not change
that.

Hi all,
It's great to see @paddie sharing tips like changing to 3G only 💪 There are parts of Ireland that don't have full 4G and sometimes, external factors, such as trees, hills, weather, house insulation, can indeed influence the speeds you get. Often in cases such as these, 3G is the strongest indoor signal.
In saying that, during "normal" peak times, there are more people using data, which can have an impact on your service. If you've had this checked out with our tech team, and it's been confirmed that you are in an area of a service limitation, this means there is little to no coverage there. Another reason for a dip in speeds is on-going works on the masts in your area. The only way we can check this out is by sending your full details to use via PM, where I'd be happy to help you 😊

I try many things without improvement, I'm just disappointed on misinformation on 3 site and how chat team is handling tickets at this stage when I hit 0.0 as my upload speed I will not give up as this take to long now. I will not say that midnight or 1 am are peek hours but even on that time I have issues with opening email account or just to access single website. Ticket is opened for almost 2 weeks so will see how it goes...