Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Broadband speed differs between two sim cards

markb24
Novice

Broadband speed differs between two sim cards

I recently got a three bill pay 4g broadband sim. The speed is very bad so it's hardly usable. My wife has a three corporate phone and the speed for her (also on three) is always around 8-10 times faster. I initially thought the issue was with the router but I tested the slow 4g broadband sim in my wife's phone and the speed stayed slow which leads me to believe that the speed on my 4g broadband only sim is being throttled. Anyone else experiencing a similar issue? 

6 REPLIES 6
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@markb24 Hi there 👋 Lets take a look at this. I've a few questions for you - what broadband device are you using your SIM card in? Have the speeds been slow since you got the SIM or has there been changes recently? Are you using the SIM in one area or have you tried others? Let me know 👍

I have used several devices (iPhone, Android) to see if it was an issue with the 4g router I bought but the speed doesn’t differ across devices.
The speed had been slow since receiving the device and at peak times (around 6pm) it goes down to under 1 Mbps and becomes unusable.
During the day it‘s normally between 2 and 13 Mbps.
I get best reception at the front window.
In any location I compare it (even on the same phone) my wife’s SIM card normally is around 8-10 times faster (also on the three network). She gets speeds at peak times of around 20 Mbps with her sim and around 40 Mbps in the day.

*I meant since receiving the sim

@markb24 Thanks for getting back to me 👍 Tell me, what type of router are you using the SIM in?

TP Link Archer MR200

@markb24 Cheers for getting back to me. That router isn't one that we support at Three so I can't be of much help there. Regarding the varying speeds between your SIM and your wifes', this could be due to the different set up of the broadband and phone SIMs. I'd love to see how your SIM would perform in one of the Three supported modems or routers. Send me a PM with your details - broadband number, full name, address and date of birth. With this info I'll be able to check which masts you're connecting to if that's ok with you?