Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Cannot upgrade to 5g broadband

Garryh
Investigator

Cannot upgrade to 5g broadband

I have been a customer for the last 2 and a half years, speeds are good during the day and abysmal at night. I was sent out a new router last february and was told it would help improve my speeds because it has better reach. My speeds did not improve. So today i found out about 5g broadband, checked my eircode and im in a little spot that is getting coverage. I called support and was told under no circumstances would i be upgraded until my new 2 year contract i was signed up for expired next august. I would not have signed up for another contract if i knew the router i was getting was going to make zero difference. I was also told the 5g tower is 3km away and the 4g tower is 14km away. To say i am sick is an understatement. Fantastic way to treat loyal customers i must say.
3 REPLIES 3
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@Garryh Hi there, let's take a look here. Tell me, when you upgraded the last modem how long was the contract you agreed to? Did you know that you can upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract?

Hi, i was actually finished my contract and i rang last february about terrible speeds, i was told there was a new router (huawei b535) and that this router was better and would fix issues. It did not fix issues if anything my broadband is worse now. Anyway i foolishly said yes and was signed up to another contract which does not expire until next august. I had no idea 5g was going to be a thing this soon and i am completely baffled that three is only offering 5g broadband to new customers or those that are out of contract. Everybody that is under contract is stuck on the 4g plan and their loyalty disregarded.

@Garryh As your contract is due to expire in August you'll be able to contact us in May to discuss upgrading your modem. Upgrades can only be offered 3 months before the end of your contract, this is the same for phone upgrades and modem/router upgrades. As you have had your current modem for more than the 14 day return period for online or telephone orders it's not possible to return it at this stage. However, there are many tips and tricks on All about: Broadband Coverage which could help increase the 4G speeds you're receiving.