Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Does the 5G service support a home phone?

SOLVED
bcolgan
Investigator

Does the 5G service support a home phone?

I have called the 1800 number and I have been in contact with an Agent online but nobody can tell me if the new 5G Pro install service can have a "landline" off it.

I believe this was/is possible with the 4G service.

Parents have moved house and will have to dig a trench a few hundred yards and under 2 stone walls to get traditional landline in to house, so I'm investigating options.

Apparently they are in a 5G area, which was confirmed by the Agent on chat today but they could not tell me if it's possible to have an old school DSL/landline phone off the AX3 router that is supplied with the 5G Pro install service.

I see the router supplied with the non-Pro install in the UK does have an RJ11 landline/DSL type connector, so that would work, I think but very difficult to tell from the info on website.

If I sign up for it and it doesn't work, what are my options?

I need to be able to transfer their old fixed landline number to whatever new service I go with also.

Not easy getting definite answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer
billbond4
Leader

5g is wireless technology.
Your talking about a fiber connection to your home, 3 don't offer this, generally with a fiber connection you will be offered a land-line number say from virgin media or Vodafone.
Also you mentioned uk in your post, this forum is for 3 ireland.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
billbond4
Leader

5g is wireless technology.
Your talking about a fiber connection to your home, 3 don't offer this, generally with a fiber connection you will be offered a land-line number say from virgin media or Vodafone.
Also you mentioned uk in your post, this forum is for 3 ireland.

bcolgan
Investigator

Thanks billbond4 but you have not actually answered the questions I asked, so not sure who said it's an Accepted Solution.

I am not talking about a fiber connection. I am talking about a 4g/5g wireless connection to a router on the outside of, or the inside of a house (depending on solution most suitable). No wire/cable currently exists externally coming into the house, other than electricity.

I currently have this solution with another provider and have had a previous 4G one from 3 but the signal was not strong enough to provide reasonable broadband.

My reference to the UK was because three.ie do not have any information on the equipment used in providing the 5G non-Pro install and i had to go to the three UK site/forums to find out about it.

So I am still in the dark as to whether or not 3 Ireland 5G service can provide a phone connection from the 5G router in the home to a "landline/DSL" type phone.

I have this myself, from another provider, but am looking to source similar for elderly parents in a different area.

For anyone thinking of replying, if you don't understand what I am asking, please refrain from answering.

@bcolgan We do understand what you're asking. @billbond4 is a customer just like you, offering his advice from his own experience. This is what 3Community is based on 💪😁

In the post above it was mentioned that Three do not provide landlines, and this is true for a consumer level. We do supply landlines to business customers, however, it's not through 5G.

Here are some links you might find useful.

Device Support 

Business Fixed Line Plans 

Thank you Laura.

OK, I can see that Three supply the Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2

The top port on this is described in the User Manual as - 1
Landline phone port(Optional.
The actual product appearance
and functions prevail.)

This is the option I was hoping for.

Can you tell me, whether through a Home/Business account, I can get this device and run a landline off it?

I would also want to transfer an old number from previous address to same.

Thanks for your help.

@bcolgan Good morning and thanks for getting back to me. At present, it's not possible to have a landline with that particular router with Three. Business customers are the only customers who can avail of landlines, just not through 5G 👍

Thanks Laura.

OK, I'll have to go down the 4G route so, as I believe that's definitely an option.

Much appreciated.

How did this work out for you as I too am now in the same situation and would like to transfer a landline number onto the Three 5G FWA ZTE MC7010 Outdoor CPE but not sure if this is possible. 

@KDUFF Hi there, here on 3Community we use the @mention (@username) format when directing a question at a specific person, this will alert them 😊 and help you get a response.

@Three_Stacey  Thank you for that. 👍😊