Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Download speeds for 4G in Donegal town dropped since weekend

SOLVED
Boghopperie
Investigator

Download speeds for 4G in Donegal town dropped since weekend

Hi, I have only had my new b535 router and SIM card since the 24th May and since Friday evening I cannot do anything usable with the broadband as the speeds have dropped from around 20mbps down to 0.5mbps but the upload speeds are still up around 20mbps . Is this a case of my service being throttled as we have 3 kids in the house all on YouTube and gaming and I think that they have gone over the 750Gig limit but the my3 app still says I have 100%. The router is reporting that I have a full 4G signal and I have already been onto customer care and they told me that the network would be refreshed that afternoon and to wait until then but nothing has changed. Does anyone have the same experience and how was it solved. Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

Hi All

Just a heads up, i switched to 3G until yesterday when i switched my router back up to 4G and I have speeds of upto 30mbps again.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@Boghopperie Hello there. Firstly, let me reassure you that we do not throttle speeds here at 3. Also, the 750GB limit has actually been removed until the end of this month, take a look over here for more info. There could be other things affecting your speeds though. I've taken a look and all appears as it around Donegal town. Have you had a look at our blog, All about: Broadband Coverage yet? There are some great tips in there as well as some questions I'll need the answers to in order to look into this further for you.

Hi Laura, I have gone through all the recommendations as listed on the link. I have power cycled the router and removed and reinserted the SIM card and I have done a hard reset on the router to defaults but what I can't understand that on the Ookla speed test my download speeds are barely touching 2mbps this morning but my upload speeds are hitting 17mbps. I have a clear line on sight of the mast across the bay and the signal strength is showing the full 5 lights, I have the router linked to a switch which is connected to a to TP link downstairs for coverage and everything worked perfectly until the weekend whenever these very low download speeds appeared. My signal is coming from the Laghey mast

@Boghopperie Thanks for getting back to me. Pop me a PM with your broadband number, full name, address (including Eircode) and date of birth so I can access your account. Also include some screenshots of speed tests taken at different times of the day 👍

@Boghopperie , we see your PM and I have checked the coverage and signal type at your home address. The strongest indoor signal there is 3G. Can you switch 4G off on your router and continue to use your data with this off for the next day or two? The instructions on how to do this is in the link @LauraH provided earlier.

Hi Deborah, I am receiving 4G full strength from your Laghey mast that I can see direct line of sight across the bay. I was receiving speeds of 20mbps to 55mbps as in the screenshots that I sent and the screenshots I sent earlier, the screenshots also show the router page showing 4G full signal

@Boghpperie, I totally get that and have seen the screenshot you sent in PM 👍 I fully appreciate where you are coming from.

The masts you're connecting to a up and running, with no reported faults. While there is 4G in your area, 3G is the strongest indoors. This is not saying you're unable to get 4G signal. Will you try switching 4G off for the next day and let me know what happens? 

Okay Deborah, I will try to switch to 3g for a couple of days, what I am stating is that I had a perfect 4G service running at 20+ Mbps for the guts of 20 days for it to disappear is a bit strange

Hi All

Just a heads up, i switched to 3G until yesterday when i switched my router back up to 4G and I have speeds of upto 30mbps again.

@Boghopperie, that's brilliant. Thanks for letting us know 💪