Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

IP address - mobile broadband - WFH

SOLVED
flyingirishlass
Investigator

IP address - mobile broadband - WFH

Hi all, Haven't been on here in years! I used to be wall3gurl in the O2 days.

I am looking to get mobile broadband from your good selves, for WFH.

My IT department are wondering if the the IP address changes very regularly. (They were hoping i'd have static IP address but i know this isn't possible on mobile BB)

Would anyone be able to confirm how often the public IP address changes?

Is it possible to pay for static IP? 

Thanks all! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer
billbond4
Leader

Ah ye olde o2 days, that was a long time ago.

Yes you can get a static Ip-address, send a mod your account details and they can do it for you

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
billbond4
Leader

Ah ye olde o2 days, that was a long time ago.

Yes you can get a static Ip-address, send a mod your account details and they can do it for you

Thank you SO much Kudos, you have saved my bacon!!! 

I had posted a question on twitter, before I remember this forum...and the 3 person was saying they can't provide a static IP until something is resolved with 'application of the public IP' ..... what does this mean do you know Kudos?  

The only real reason I ask about IP, is that my work is concerned about security. I log into a VPN. For some reason the IT say that I need to have either Static IP - OR an IP that changes very very little. 

Hope this makes sense! I'm not very techy

Just wait for a mod to get back to your here, they will create the static IP and you can tell your IT department what it is, and I guess they enable it in your VPN

Thanks so much!!! I really need this for my new apartment so you are putting my mind at rest here! 😀

I'll go and buy my mobile BB tomorrow at the 3 store. Then get in touch here.

@flyingirishlass  Hello there 👋 My colleague on Twitter was somewhat right and also @billbond4 😊 Before, we were able to apply a Public IP to your broadband profile to enable connections to the like of CCTV or port forwarding. At present, a Public IP isn't available on our mobile broadband but our tech team is looking for ways to make this available in the future. All mobile broadbands work on a dynamic IP, so whether or not you have a Public IP, the IP will change on a regular basis, especially after a restart or a reboot. @flyingirishlass Why don't you send us a PM , and we can let you know when a Public IP becomes available again 👍

Thanks Deborah.... Can I just ask one thing.... I'll paste the question from my work IT because I don't fully understand to be honest....

"How often will your public IP address changes (as often as a mobile phone or as often as someone with wired broadband?) And how often could you expect it to change?"

I am not sure why this all matters. All I know is I want 3 because the coverage is excellent in my area and I have my mobile with you lol

@flyingirishlass  Once applied to your account they can change as often as every 24 hours. Pop us a PM with your details so we can keep you in the loop when they become available again 😃

Thanks Laura 😊  I'll PM you now