Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Mast location

SOLVED
Erik_C
Investigator

Mast location

I have a problem that I could perhaps solve myself if I could get some information from someone. My most local 4G broadband mast is very near Dromahair in County Leitrim. Download speed has been declining over the past several months and now I get only circa 1 Mbps at best and in the evenings it is practically unusable. 

I use an external pair of mimo antennas beamed directly at this mast, easy to do since it is line-of-sight. I have found that by rotating the antennas from north to roughly north-west, I can connect to a different mast that, whilst its signal strength is much weaker, consistently gives me 10 to 20 Mbps download. 

Its cell_ID is 350464. How can I find its exact location? I would like to peak my antennas to it and, if possible, also minimise the local signal so that I more reliably connect to it. At the moment 1 in 3 connections still go to the local mast so I hope to minimise that signal and, with location information, get a good compromise on antenna direction.

I have seen the COMREG site map but the masts shown there are identified by a different method and not by the cell_ID so far as I can see. My B525 router does have a signal strength meter but it is too coarse to be of much value.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

@Erik_C No objection whatsoever 😁 @Three_Deborah and I are delighted to help, have a great weekend and enjoy those great speeds 😀

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@Erik_C Hi there 👋I'm happy to check which masts you're connecting to. To do this I'll need access to your account and your permission to access your connections. Pop me a PM with your details (number, address including Eircode and date of birth) and we'll go from there 👌

Hi @Erik_C, scratch the above, I've linked in with Three_Deborah and together we found the cell id you mentioned corresponds to our mast in Lavagh. Is that a fair bit away from you? A quick google search does put it to the North-West of Dromahair. Oh, by the way, we don't use cell-ids as such, so it took us a while to figure this out for you Three_Laur_0-1614952545421.png Let me know if this is the info you've been looking for.

Hello Laura. Thank you for taking the trouble to look up the cell_ID for me. It is certainly a fair bit away but it has a good signal with me and affords excellent download speeds that I can no longer get with my most local mast (which is in a very populated location and I suspect is highly used especially during lockdown). So, if there isn't any objection by Three, I will peak my antennas on Lavagh.

@Erik_C No objection whatsoever 😁 @Three_Deborah and I are delighted to help, have a great weekend and enjoy those great speeds 😀