Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Signal decreasing very much and internet bars turn off

Arad12
Investigator

Signal decreasing very much and internet bars turn off

Dear Three,

I'm having some issues with my signal decreasing and internet bars keep turning on and off. When I go to my balcony I get 4G and when I go into my room I get 3G why does that happen. Why does my internet bar keep turning on and off? My neighbors had the signal problem as well in the apartment which is called Blackbanks View Howth Road. This started happening when I moved into the property which was at May 2021. I see H* most of the time when I'm in my room and 4G in the balcony it loses signal a lot when I go into the room which it goes to H*  when I'm in the room. My mobile data is worse in mostly weekly and daily at the same time it's almost daily. The type of router I'm using is mobile data and my Sim card is 2 years old. I did a speed test with oakla and this is the results I got its 41ms for ping,2.61 for Download and 0.34 for upload. My general area is called Killbarrack which its the closest area to.

13 REPLIES 13
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@Arad12 Good morning, let's take a look at this for you. Tell me, are you using a mobile broadband router or modem or is this the mobile data on your phone? It sounds like the 4G signal in your spot is available outdoors but not strong enough for indoors, this may be down to exterior factors beyond our control. Have you tried switching to 3G Only? If not, try that for a few days and let me know how it goes 

Dear Laur,

3G only works inside but when I try to press on manually network to 3 4G when inside it will give me a error,recently I have gotten a new SIM card and it has been activated yet by the Dedicated team for the sim activation as I was told that SIM cards become faulty when it’s 2 years old or when it gets older. That’s exactly the problem my closest mast is near the centra Killbarack from Three. Any fixes to these problems ?I was told it could be the distance from the mast,weather,foliage and congestion. I had no problem when I was in Donnycarney and Artane area it was perfect  but in areas like Raheny and Killbarack it had terrible signal problems it was like on average 2-3 bars in Raheny and Killbarack and 5 bars for Artane and Donnycarney.Thats the exact problem I have as you said in the reply it would be appreciated if why this is happening.it’s mobile data from my phone it would be appreciated if investigated the area near the apartment .

@Arad12 Thanks so much for getting back to me. If 3G is the strongest signal indoors it would be best to connect to 3G only, have you tried that yet? Also, having the new SIM card activated is absolutely a good idea. Try both of those and report back to me 👍

Dear Laur,

When I try to put it on 3G only it does work but my problem is I was trying to get 4G to work but I guess there is no solution to these problems?

@Arad12 Our network team is always working on improving and extending our network coverage so be sure to test the 4G signal every now and again. Also, activate that SIM card if you haven't done so already to make sure it's fully up to date. Check out All about: SIM Replacements for the steps if you need them 👍

Dear Laur,

I went outside and I was testing signals in Artane and Donnycarney it had perfect signals in them areas. But when I came to Raheny and Killbarack the signal seemed to be decreasing and not lots of coverage if u look in my area near the apartment the nearest mast to me is near the Centra in Killbarack. If u come to Raheny and Killbarack You get mostly 3G and mostly 4G in Artane and Donnycarney. I activated the SIM card yesterday thanks for the help. Can you please explain what the network coverage means?.

@Arad12 The network coverage is the level of coverage available in your area at the moment. This is always being worked on and improved, if 4G isn't available in your area at the moment it may become available in the future.

One of the previous advisors told me that the signal problem can be due to distance from closest mast which for me is in Killbarrack Site 3_DU1298 the number is that. They also told me it could be due to the structure of the building, weather and foliage. Cloest report ID for me is 15/39_6.
Could these reasons be why the signal is getting blocked fron 4G?

@Arad12 Exactly, factors like those will indeed affect the signal you receive.