Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Slow broadband

ADM
Investigator
Investigator

Slow broadband

I got a new router upgrade, and it was even slower than my old one.

I switched back to my own router, which if I restore to default every few days, I would get speeds minimum of 30-40Mbps. During congestion hours, I would get minimum of 16-20Mbps. Now my 4G is literally unusable, it's < 100KBps. Switching to 3G is barely capable of reaching 5Mbps which is far off of what I'm capable of reaching with this. What's going on here? My usage seems to be unlimited, but I'm on the 750GB plan and I'd rather have actual usable internet to avail of that data, than internet that I can't even use.

I'm sick and tired of trying reboot/restore defaults/new sims/cleaning/changing location of the router/putting on windowsill/antennas. It does absolutely nothing to attain such speeds that I had before, and clearly my location is more than capable of reaching 4G speeds of 40Mbps, and what I'm paying for now is ridiculous in 2020. My "new" router is even worse than my old one, but that's not the point.

As long as my old router can consistently reach those speeds, and congestion speeds, that's what I need.

Edit: I should point out that the speeds in my new router when I initially set it up, was up to 100Mbps, settled at 70Mbps for a bit, and then dropped down to unusable <1Mbps speeds.

10 REPLIES 10
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@ADM This is a strange one. From what I gather from your posts, your old router can reach your desirable speeds after a re-boot and your new router doesn't. Is that right? What I want to do is check that your broadband account is set up correctly and I'd also like to check the coverage in your area. Can you send a PM with your full name, broadband number, address/Eircode, and date of birth? 

Yes, pretty much. I'm not opposed to using whichever router, but the speeds on the new one were even slow before unlimited data was enabled for users for COVID, but at least the old one worked fine except for a bit of an annoying random reboot. 

I'll have you PM'ed in a few minutes.

@ADM Hi there, we see your PM and one of your 3Community Mods will get back to you shortly 👍 Chat then.

So I sent those details in PM over the last few days, and just today my internet was going horrendously slow. Happy to say that switching to 4G and "restore defaults" has now once again shot up in speeds. Went from <100Kbps to 16-22Mbps (2.6MBps) which is great for my location. Here's hoping it lasts like before!

ADM
Investigator
Investigator

Well that didn't last long. Now back to 3G as 4G is unbearably slow, and with 3G it still took almost 3 minutes to load just this site and get to sign in to be able to write this. Ugh, this is infuriating. I had about an hour and a half or 20MBps consistent speed and was able to download a few things with no issue. I don't get it, but I'll hope it's traffic due to the current pandemic, just odd how it's so inconsistent and completely random. I'm definitely capable of the speeds in my area as I've seen so no idea.

LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@ADM Hi there 👋 I'm wondering how the speeds have been for you since you posted? Have you noticed it improving again? Let me know and we'll go from there 👌

ADM
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. Since then it's just gone back to being slow, and as of now and the past 20 minutes it cut out completely (no 3G/4G signal and nothing on auto, which has never happened before). 4G is completely out of the question at the moment (stuck on 0 on a speed test) and 3G is still much slower still at 2Mbps, barely able to load web pages. Tried all the resetting/rebooting and switching still just to get back to here and load this page to respond.

Edit: About 5 minutes later 3G resetting again has gone up to just about 7.7Mbps, which is usable enough, though I'd still like to get to the bottom of this and gain those much higher consistent speeds again.

LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@ADM Thanks for letting me know. Over the weekend will you do some speed tests for me at different times of the day and send me a PM on Monday with the history of the results? Best to use Ookla and select 'Results' which will show me the history and the 3/4G connections too.

Dubsy
Investigator

I know this is an old thread but was this evwr sorted. I spent 800 on a booster trying to fix the same issue and it's still horribly slow at night. Sometimes so slow i can't even do a speed test.