Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

App Review: Couch Potato to 5km Run Trainer

LauraH
3 Mod Retired

Three_Stacey_1-1706108079481.png

Couch Potato to 5K Run Trainer has been around for a while and is one the most famous running apps that you can download on your smartphone. Have you always enjoyed running or have you steered away from this beneficial exercise? I find running great both for my mental and physical health, and decided to start making small changes to help me on the road (excuse the pun) to my 2024 goals.

Three_Laur_5-1609841556380.jpeg

Three_Laur_6-1609841556385.jpeg

How it works

Once downloaded, the app is super easy to use. Screen 1 opens on Day 1 of your training and all you need to do here is click Let’s Go.

Day 1 is a 25-minute workout, with 5 minutes of walking to warm up, 1 minute of running rotating with 1.5 minutes of walking for 15 minutes and finally a 5 minute walk to cool down and stretch. Sounds easy when you are reading it doesn’t it? By the third round of 1 minute runs, my blood was pumping and I was feeling the burn, but as they say – no pain, no gain!

You continue this pattern throughout week 1, which consists of 3 workouts. On week 2, the ante is upped! After your 5-minute warm-up, you have got 18 minutes of running/walking patterns ranging from 1.5 minutes to 1-minute runs and 2 minute and 1 minute walks. I felt I was ready for this by week 2 and was starting to enjoy running again.

Cost-wise, the app is free for the first 3 months and if you want to continue after that, it is €4.99 per month. I feel that after the 3 months, I will have my own routine and may not need the app any longer, but time will tell.

The Benefits

• Quick and (relatively 😉) easy workouts. 25 – 30 minutes 3 times a week is do-able for most of us.
  • It’s cheap, all you need is a comfortable pair of runners and some earphones.
  • You can check your history at any stage to see just how far you have come since Day 1.

Screenshot_20210104_113329_com.clearskyapps.fitnessfamily.Run5K.jpg

• The countdowns are great when you are finding that you just can’t go any further! The countdown in your ear will spur you on for those last few seconds until the time to walk arrives.
  • Headspace. Running is great for keeping in shape and weight loss, but I equally enjoy the headspace it gives you. Pop on your headphones and away you go.
  • Badges. The boost that receiving a virtual badge from an app can give you is amazing. It’s nice to look back at your collection in the Wins tab, too!

What are the ratings?

Google Play users give this app 4.7, while App Store users go a step further with a massive 4.9 rating, and with over 4 million downloads that’s pretty impressive!

Where can I get it?

Google Play  👉 click here 

App Store  👉 click here

If you are looking for an app to motivate you to get out and moving, I would fully recommend this one. I’m just over 2 weeks in, and I’m already seeing an improvement in my fitness. Some days, it’s hard to wrap up and get out there, but it’s worth it afterwards, and you will feel very proud of yourself!

Let us know in the comments below if you try it out, we would love to hear your opinions!

5 Comments
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@billbond4 How are those new runners from Santa working out for you? 😎

billbond4
Leader

They are looking lovely in their box 🙂

Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

Three_Deborah_0-1609926070393.jpeg

@billbond4 here's a little motivation. I'd like to say that's @LauraH , but I can neither confirm nor deny. 

@Donegal-3 are you participating in any New Year goals/exercise? 

billbond4
Leader

I will head out today and if I make it back I will take a picture from frosty athlone

billbond4
Leader

FrostyFrosty