Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Data roaming mostly useless

scottishwildcat
Connector

Data roaming mostly useless

EDIT: Updated to clarify phone make/model.

I basically have the same problem as this person: https://forum.three.ie/t5/Prepay/err-connection-reset-on-3g-abroad/td-p/24171 - but with a different phone, a Nokia 5 purchased in-store.

In the past 6 months, I've visited several European countries, including Spain, Romania, and the UK. In all cases, I was topped up (Be Free Internet), had plenty of data available, data roaming enabled, and a good mobile signal.

On all those trips, some apps sometimes functioned fine on roaming data, while others -- at exactly the same time -- did not. Most recent example was this past weekend in Scotland. Web browsing never worked, just got the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error every time that's mentioned in the other thread. Google Maps could never get a connection either, nor could Swarm. At exactly the same time, Facebook Messenger and the Gmail app were working fine. I wasn't trying to run any VPNs or suchlike, and WiFi was completely disabled.

What's the explanation, and how can it be resolved? It's making my phone pretty useless abroad at the moment.

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi scottishwildcat,

Thank for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear this. Are you using the same phone, the Xiaomi M5? What can happen with the phones that are not purchased on the network is the operating bands we emit our signal on may not be the same and the data connection may not go through. We operate on bands 800mhz and 1800mhz. 

Sorry, should have specified, different phone: mine's a Nokia 5, purchased in-store.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this. We'd need to try and troubleshoot when the problem occurs in real-time. You can browse but the connection is not stable is that right? 

Actual web browsing rarely if ever works, failing with the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error. Google Maps consistently fails to locate me, and therefore can't/won't download any local tiles. Other apps, like Gmail and Facebook Messenger, seem to work most of the time.

Data appears to be being sent and received fairly constantly, if the flickering activity of the upload/download arrows in the status bar is anywhere accurate.

I'll be out of the country again first week in June, though that's for my summer holidays so don't want to be spending the week phone troubleshooting if possible 😉

Totally understand that you want to enjoy the holidays. Why don't we get as much troubleshooting as possible done now? You've given loads of info 👍 So I'm guessing you've looked at our guide 👉 http://bit.ly/2w3rqNU . Before you go, can you do a sim replacement? And when you're on holidays, switch 4g off on your phone. 

Thanks… yes, I've looked at the guide and all seems fine there. May not get around to a SIM replacement before I go, but I'll certainly try turning off 4G to see if that makes any difference.

Great stuff 😊 I can post you a sim replacement, it'll be out to you in a few days 👍 Just send me a PM with your details. 

Just following up from yesterday, will I post a sim replacement out to you? If so, PM your full name and address to me. Smiley Happy

Yes, that'd be great thanks. Will PM you.