Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Data roaming mostly useless

scottishwildcat
Connector

Data roaming mostly useless

EDIT: Updated to clarify phone make/model.

I basically have the same problem as this person: https://forum.three.ie/t5/Prepay/err-connection-reset-on-3g-abroad/td-p/24171 - but with a different phone, a Nokia 5 purchased in-store.

In the past 6 months, I've visited several European countries, including Spain, Romania, and the UK. In all cases, I was topped up (Be Free Internet), had plenty of data available, data roaming enabled, and a good mobile signal.

On all those trips, some apps sometimes functioned fine on roaming data, while others -- at exactly the same time -- did not. Most recent example was this past weekend in Scotland. Web browsing never worked, just got the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error every time that's mentioned in the other thread. Google Maps could never get a connection either, nor could Swarm. At exactly the same time, Facebook Messenger and the Gmail app were working fine. I wasn't trying to run any VPNs or suchlike, and WiFi was completely disabled.

What's the explanation, and how can it be resolved? It's making my phone pretty useless abroad at the moment.

18 REPLIES 18

Got it! Right, that's in the post. Please excuse my scratchy handwriting Smiley Very Happy  You should get it on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. You can put through the replacement on our website .

So I've been in Majorca since Sunday with the new SIM and 4G turned off. Same old story though; cant visit any websites due to Connection Reset error, and other apps just behave as if they're offline, even though I have a good signal and the mobile network send/receive indicator suggests plenty of network chatter in both directions.

2018-06-04 21.08.19.png2018-06-04 22.14.39.png2018-06-05 12.24.21.png2018-06-05 11.59.01.png

Also, the mobile data usage page shows that some apps have used a non-negligible amount of data since I got here, but they don't behave like it when I actually try to use them:

2018-06-04 21.12.11.png

If there's anything else I can check or try before I return to Ireland on Saturday, let me know.

Hi there, thanks for coming back to us here. Can you let me know if you have any data usage restriction set up on your phone? Are you still able to use Facebook Messenger and Gmail as you said before, but are mostly experiencing this with general browsing and Google Maps? Aoife

Yes, I have just successfully sent a Facebook Messenger message on data to
test.

Gmail doesn't seem to want to send or receive on data right now, but both
apps do show up on my "mobile data used" page (840k for Messenger, 1.71Mb
for Gmail) since I started roaming.

Not sure what data restrictions might be enabled on an Android phone other
than data roaming and data saver, but have confirmed they're on and off,
respectively. My3 app shows I have 6.9Mb of data remaining, at present.

Hi there, can you try the following: Open Phone settings> Select Apps > Click Chrome > Click CLEAR DATA > Click CLEAR CACHE.

Let me know if this works for you? 

Thanks for the suggestion, clearing the cache hasn't made any difference
however.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to have our tech team look into this at this stage for you, is this something you'd like us to go ahead and do for you? 

Sure, no problem.

Perfect, I'll get this logged now for you. Can you send me a private message with your full name, address and date of birth please?