Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Is it €30 to continue using a Three phone number?

SOLVED
Chrysanth
Connector

Is it €30 to continue using a Three phone number?

Maybe it's the answer to a pricing puzzle on the Three website?

I'm helping my husband replace his Doro phone with another Prepay Doro (not that it's dated much - just that its camera survived only 6 years of knocking around in workshops etc!).  He does have a My3 account, but prefers me to sort out any IT stuff.  On Three's website, the current Doro (the 6620) was 'from €79.99', both in the Shop's Prepay section, and from within My3.  (Or so we thought).

My3 being the more joined-up way, we logged into it again to make the purchase, but the price there had gone up to €109.99, while via the shop it was still 'from €79.99'.  To compare like with like, we started on the buying procedure via the Shop, to see what was included/excluded.  But we never found out, as we first had to opt for carrying on with the existing phone number and type it in, and that same number was declared 'invalid', so that was that.  (No clue about what format to enter it in, but we tried several).

From within My3, we were able to get right through to the final page before payment, and the price stayed at €109.99 throughout (before adding any prepay, and without opting for any extra stuff).  No questions there about his number (already displayed there).  So I wondered if the price difference is down to 'rent' for use of a Three number (maybe an optional extra in the Shop).

Can someone just clarify before we go ahead?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

@Chrysanth Ok, so when you select your phone (without being logged in to My3) select Buy With Prepay next. After this, choose any plan and choose to activate it later. Select 'no' to keeping your existing number as this does mean moving a number from another network. What you're doing is simply buying a new phone with a new number and SIM but when you receive it you'll be popping in your own SIM card instead of the new one (you can put this away for safekeeping or pass it onto a friend or family member if you wish). Happy shopping 😁

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Chrysanth
Connector

Anyone?

@Chrysanth Hello there 👋 We were off over the weekend but I'm here now 😁 In relation to your query the €79.99 price you're seeing is a promotion available for new customers joining the network. However, as you're a Prepay customer, you can purchase the phone in this manner and simply pop your current SIM card into the new phone to keep your existing number. Hope this helps 👌

Thanks for the clarification Laura!

I tried to post here again yesterfay, but

Chrysanth
Connector

Thanks for the clarification.  I tried to post this the other day but was blocked (another story).

We tried as you suggested via the shop, but it made no difference (after adding a prepay plan, we entered the pbone number and got the same problem as before ('Number failed', because it couldn't be ported).

Maybe we should have opted not to add a prepay plan?  (He already has enough credit to last him for months).  I thought 'ported' meant from a different network provider?  The error message was slightly different from the first time (when it said the number was invalid).

@Chrysanth Ok, so when you select your phone (without being logged in to My3) select Buy With Prepay next. After this, choose any plan and choose to activate it later. Select 'no' to keeping your existing number as this does mean moving a number from another network. What you're doing is simply buying a new phone with a new number and SIM but when you receive it you'll be popping in your own SIM card instead of the new one (you can put this away for safekeeping or pass it onto a friend or family member if you wish). Happy shopping 😁

Well, we got there in the end!

Without signing in, we selected the prepay plan (but to apply later this time).  Next was the page headed 'Keep your number', where we selected 'No'.  We then weren't sure whether to now follow the prominent red 'Sign in to continue' link, and first tried resisting it, but touching the big 'Pay Now' under the total payable under the price (which was now the lower one) didn't have any effect, and we looked in the Basket but it was empty.  So we started again, this time signing in after opting not to keep the number.  We then noticed a red dot on the basket icon, went to that and it was all there correctly, with a 'Proceed to payment' (or similar) link, and we've now successfully ordered the phone at the lower price.  (I presume moving his current SIM into it will preserve the credit that that his account already has?)

It all seems a bit Alice through the Looking Glass (big Pay Now box under the total, that's not a link; keeping a phone number by saying we don't want to).  Perhaps the website could do with a little tweaking?

'Edit reply to Chrysanth' doesn' feel exactly intuitive either ('Edit reply to Laura/from.Chrysanth)

Anyway, thank you for responding so quickly!