Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

No internet when travelling to northern ireland

SOLVED
Salty
Investigator

No internet when travelling to northern ireland

I have no problem accessing Internet when in republic of Ireland over mobile data. But when I cross over into Newry I cannot. Is this because of Brexit?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

@Salty Good morning, are you calling the landline number including the +44 prefix ? So landlines in Northern Ireland have the prefix 028 and then the rest of the number. The thing is when calling a landline number in the North from anywhere in the republic, you change out the 028 for 048 so  the full number it would look like 048 77xx xxxx  and not 028 77xx xxxx. This way the 048 number is included in your minute allowance .

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@Salty Isee that @LauraH got back to you on your other post over here Let us know if you need any more help. 

It doesn't really help to be honest. I wanted to know why I cannot get Internet when I cross into northern ireland.
My plan says 1gb data but it doesn't say for where. There are two other 500mb data allowances showing for Ire and EU marked as expired.

@Salty is there a data connection symbol on your phone? If so, does it say 3G or 4G. And what network do you connect to in Northern Ireland?.By the way, when was the last time you topped-up?

@LauraH has confirmed that you can use your 1GB in Northern Ireland but as a bit of good news, you can use it anywhere in the UK . Here's our price guide too click here

Thanks.
I top up automatically every 4 weeks. I'll try switching to 3g next trip and see how that works.

@Salty yes, do that. Try manually selecting different networks too and please let us know how you get on 🙂

I tried ringing a landline in Northen Ireland from Dublin. My plan does not allow me to do that. Is that correct?

@Salty Good morning, are you calling the landline number including the +44 prefix ? So landlines in Northern Ireland have the prefix 028 and then the rest of the number. The thing is when calling a landline number in the North from anywhere in the republic, you change out the 028 for 048 so  the full number it would look like 048 77xx xxxx  and not 028 77xx xxxx. This way the 048 number is included in your minute allowance .

Thanks Deborah.
That worked. Travelled to Northern Ireland this morning. No Internet again but when I switched to 3G everything worked fine.
Appreciate the help 🙂

@Salty I'm delighted to hear that everything worked out.

Safe travels and remember we're here to help you as best as we can 😉