Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Over €100 of credit vanished within unlimited data period

MichaelA
Novice

Over €100 of credit vanished within unlimited data period

I went to check my balance recently as the 28 day period of free data had just lapsed yesterday evening and I intended to top up by €20 as usual. I use a calendar alarm to make sure I'm roughly aware of when it will lapse.

I received a text warning that my credit balance was low (~€2 remaining), despite there being in excess of €110 shown when I last topped up. I haven't changed plan and I've often found that I've spent €2-5 before I realised that I need to top up again but never anywhere near this much. Is this a retrospective change of terms and the credit which I had access to from the past months is now being taken?

There's nearly €80 in charges for data usage alone on the 'events' tab from early this morning between 12:27 and 12:35 a.m. At this time I had roaming data turned off following the low credit notice.

I'd really appreciate some clarification and a resolution if any of the Three mods can help out.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
MichaelA
Novice

Three credit history.jpgThree data 'usage'.jpg

@MichaelA Good morning 👋 I see from your screenshot you topped up on Nov 18th so your plan would have expired on December 16th. Outside your plan data is charged at €1.01 per MB. Have you considered scheduled top-ups? It's a fantastic way to ensure you top-up on time 👌

Hi @LauraH   

As I said above, I use a calendar reminder so I can decide whether I need to top up on each occasion that the plan expires. Being a student with limited income, I find that avoiding the authorisation of as many automatic charges as possible allows me to better track of my monthly expenditure.

I topped up at at ~8pm on November 18th and 28 days from that point would be ~8pm on December 16th. I had turned off my data via my phone settings at this stage on the 16th so data charges occurring overnight after this point simply don't make sense unless those timestamps are inaccurate.

Inaccurate plan period aside, my concern is now that if I were to top up, that my plan has now been altered without my knowledge and I'll be left in limbo having spent €20 but paying a ludicrous rate for data so that the top-up lasts a day or less if the plan doesn't activate correctly.

Thanks

@MichaelA Good morning, I can check to see if you've changed plans recently, pop me a PM with your phone number, full name, address and date of birth and we'll go from there. Also, tell me, how exactly did you switch off your data?

The plan still says I have '3Pay' active which sounds correct as I haven't changed it.

I used the mobile data function on my phone to stop apps/processes from using mobile data and swapping them to wifi only effectively. It's a pretty common feature in most smart phones I believe.

@MichaelA 3Pay is one of our legacy plans so you have most likely been on it for some time. Switching off mobile data in your settings technically won't stop your phone from connecting to the internet, there's a really interesting thread about it over here 👉 click here 

There's a list on that thread of different settings in your phone that enable data on it 

1: All mobile data off

2: Wifi Assist and iCloud and Google sync/similar is off

4: Push notifications are switched off

5: GPS location switched off

6: No MMS sent or received

7: No long SMS (wrapped to MMS send/receive)

8: Automatic updates switched off

9: Turn off background app refresh

10: No external devices linked to your phone ( MiBand, FitBit, Smartwatch)