cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeatedly charged for data despite mobile data turned off

Explorer

Re: Repeatedly charged for data despite mobile data turned o

Rachel, this evening, I had a long conversation with Ravi from customer care. Repeatedly, he indicated that the charges were genuine and ignored all the evidence that I put to him. He didn't entertain the idea that there is a possible link between the posters on this thread and the same issue that I am having. The fact that multiple people have the same issue is rather disconcerting. 

We agreed to disagree and that I would follow this up and escalate the matter beyond him. Whether you can do this, I am unsure, but I would like to understand how this could be so different and coincidental 

3 Moderator

@Magicalmarsh I just got back to your PM there 😊

Explorer

I have been charged €2 for the past two days, out of the blue, despite the fact that I have disabled Data on my phone and disabled all data usage by all apps.

I have been robbed again of four euros for no reason.

I need an answer from Three as to why I have been charged for something that I do not use.

Explorer

I have all data turned off on my phone because I just use my WIFI and internet access that I pay for. But I have random €2 charges saying "your 2 euro day ...." and I have no data usage.

This is robbery, plain and simple.

We should challenge this stuff because they are picking our pockets.

Explorer

I am going to switch too, away from this crowd who have their hands randomly in your pocket stealing 2 euros a day off you.

3 Moderator

Morning @johnoc I'm going to look into this for you. First, I'd like to make sure your Wi-Fi assist settings are powered off. Can you confirm the make and model of the phone you're using and I'll send you on the steps? 

Hi. This has been happening to me.

I do not use mobile data on my phone. All of the settings are turned off. I have deleted the Three APN and MMS settings.

On the 14/08/2019 I got a text from three saying that I had been charged €2 for my Day Pass.

I spoke to Nikhilkumar in a chat, who, after 30 minutes said I would be refunded. I wasn't refunded.

I spoke to Atul in a chat later that day. After an hour of explaining again, he refunded the €2.

On the 21/08/2019 I got another text from three saying that I had been charged €2 for my Day Pass.
Honestly, at that point I wasn't xx spending an hour on to chat again to get €2 refunded, so I didn't bother.

Yesterday, on the 08/09/2019 I got a text from three saying I had been charged €2 for a Day Pass.
Today, 09/09/2019 I got a message saying I had been charged €2 for a Day Pass.

Can someone sort out a refund for me for these three €2 = €6 day passes that I have not requested or used?

3 Community Manager

@peristeronic I'll look into this here for you. By any chance have you checked that WIFI assist is also switched off on your phone? While you may have data switched off and apn settings removed, if WIFI assist is enabled on your phone, connection attempts will be made, causing the daily pass to activate. Here's a link for you to check WIFI assist In the meantime, can you send me a PM with your number, full name, address and date of birth so that I can check your account? 

Hello,

I too have been randomly charged for a DayPass over the last few days even though I have Data turned off. Like @peristeronic, I have now deleted the APN and MMS settings.

In my case, I think the culprit is Google's Location Services. Last Friday, I had absent-mindedly clicked on "Agree" when asked something about location when I using a GPS tool, as I had assumed that I was just turning on access to GPS (I had set the Location Mode to "Device only" ages ago.). But, this apparently not only gave the app access to Location Services but also set the Location Services mode to "High Accuracy", which uses the data network somehow and occasionaly sends "location data" to Google. It also set the mode as the default, which meant that the Location mode is set to "High Accuracy" every time you turn on Location, even if you have subsequently gone into Settings->Location->Location Mode and set it to "Device only". Oddly enough, once you click on "Agree", Google never bothers you with this question again, like it does if you click on "Disagree".

Anyway in order to get the phone to show the "Improve Location Accuracy" dialog box, which is the suspected cause of all this in the first place, I tried various internet remedies revolving around resetting the Google Play Services App, notably the procedure decribed here.

This didn't initially work for me. I tried a few variations of this, including disabling or uninstalling Google Play Services, which involved disabling Adminstrator Services such as "Find my phone", but none appeared to work, But I did do a number of random things too: I took the battery out of the phone between turning it off and on again. I also took out the sim card and rebooted the phone without it. The problem was still there even without the sim card, so I gave up for a bit and put the sim card back in. However, when I went back to it a short time later to try again, the "Improve Location Accuracy" dialog box magically started appearing again, so I may have reset something. However, I'm too scared to press "Accept" in order to test this so, YMMV, as they say.

The one worrying thing though is that although the "Improve Location Accuracy" dialog box now appears every time I turn on Location(under Settings->Location), the Location Mode briefly shows as "High Accuracy" for a second or so until the dialog box appears over it. It is set to "Device only" after you press "Disagree". I don't know if that one second is enough for the phone to send a data packet to Google but I think I'll ask @Three_Rachel or @Three_Deborah to turn data off at the network level.

Highlighted
Explorer

@Luddite2000. Point well made, however, in my case, I have used high accuracy GPS previously and not found this to be an issue. Generally, to save battery, I use the Network for location approximation. I've done this for many years and never been charged. Moreover, the dialogue box you may have accepted, did not show for me. If, however, the MMS and APN settings have been removed from the phone, then surely it should not be able to reach the service and therefore not activate the 2E day-pass. Perhaps @Three_Deborah @Three_Shauna can confirm this

I have done a factory reset, but my data remains disabled on the Three side. They've offered to test this, but I am holding fire for a little while. Since the data was disabled, I have not had a problem. It's certainly very strange that @peristeronic has their data disabled by Three and settings removed yet is still being charged. Perhaps Three would like to respond to this directly and in public

It would strike me as strange and a wider systemic Three issue that this has happened to so many people over quite a prolonged period of time. What equally strikes me as strange is that their network is charging, but the devices software is not showing any data transfer - again this points, in my view, to a systemic Three issue. I would hasten to add that in virtually every case like this that I have had, Three have taken my details and passed them to a back-end team who ran some sort of analysis. I have yet to have any information furnished on what this is, what the investigations entail and why, invariably, they seem to show no issue on Three's side. For transparency, I think Three should detail what these investigations entail, what data they can and can't trace through their back-end systems and what information they're able to glean from these investigations.