cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeatedly charged for data despite mobile data turned off

Explorer

Re: Repeatedly charged for data despite mobile data turned o

This surely is underhand method that Three are now using to rip us off.

Without ever signing up to data usage, I was being charged 2 euros per day for data usage. When I saw my credit disappearing I looked at my credit usage online and saw a €2 charge shortly after midnight for a few days. I got wise to this stealing/robbery after they had stolen about €20 from me.

Clever robbery, always just after midnight.

I had all data stuff OFF on my phone and discovered that you also had another setting that says "Use GSM only"; that appears to have sorted my problem for now, until they come up with some other way of ripping us off.

Oh, these are the exact words that I got from three on daily messages:

From Three: Your EUR2DayPass has been activated. Enjoy up to 200MB of data up to midnight.  EUR1 per MB once you go over 200MB.

That, to me, is an informational message, not a message telling me that I have been charged 2 Euros, something that I never asked for.

I have highliglighted this elsewhere on Three and they have the cheek to ask me if my problem has been solved and rate my answer. Shower.

Explorer

This surely is underhand method that Three are now using to rip us off.

Without ever signing up to data usage, I was being charged 2 euros per day for data usage. When I saw my credit disappearing I looked at my credit usage online and saw a €2 charge shortly after midnight for a few days. I got wise to this stealing/robbery after they had stolen about €20 from me.

Clever robbery, always just after midnight.

I had all data stuff OFF on my phone and discovered that you also had another setting that says "Use GSM only"; that appears to have sorted my problem for now, until they come up with some other way of ripping us off.

Oh, these are the exact words that I got from three on daily messages:

From Three: Your EUR2DayPass has been activated. Enjoy up to 200MB of data up to midnight.  EUR1 per MB once you go over 200MB.

That, to me, is an informational message, not a message telling me that I have been charged 2 Euros, something that I never asked for.

I have highliglighted this elsewhere on Three and they have the cheek to ask me if my problem has been solved and rate my answer. Shower.

Theft? Use the data and you're charged. Im not following the theft bit. You got a text about the charge and the 2 euro has always been there. I don't get it, if you don't want to be charged then turn off your data on your phone or buy an add on which is cheaper or go to billpay.
Lookout

The point was that people got charged despite the fact that they did not
want to use data and had them switched off and this typically happend
during the night. I got charge several times 2eur while I was on a BeFree
Inernet addon so it should have been free! And I never receive a text about
being charged either! I found out when I checked my usage only.. it had to
do with the android setting on the phones.
Your suggestions are therefore completely irrelevant.
Navigator

I note chilli pepper doesn't quite understand the problem - the issue is
where people have been charged e2 daily even though they have data turned
off.
Explorer

That is the issue: being repeatedly charged for data despite having data turned off on phone and despite never having signed up for any data usage on Three.

There is no way online to turn off the charge nor is there any information provided by Three on their website about how to turn off data usage.

(The solution for me was to go to Settings, Wireless & Networks, More..., Mobile Networks, Network Mode. Then choose GSM only).

Three's Website is less than helpful on this matter.

But if your data is off and the settings show it off then it can't connect unless there's another setting there. Which means no charge and if there is a charge for this then the mods here can check it I'd say or there's a problem with your phone. Reach out to send a PM to get it sorted and then let us know how you get on. Otherwise, you'll never get an explanation.  I've never had anything like this happen to me so I can't say a whole pile but be interesting to find out if this was caused by a setting on your phones or something else. 

Maybe Three can add a self-help article about switching off mobile data but it's not the same for all phones. There's phone section here I'll look through it and see if there's anything on it.

Navigator

Thank you. I have had NUMEROUS emails & NUMEROUS online chats with 3. One
chat actually lasted one & half hrs. I eventually agreed that they would
turn off mobile data & if I need it I have to contact them to have it
turned on. I always use wi-fi from home but was still being charged for
mobile data. It took me so so long to convince 3 that I definitely had not
it turned on.
3 Community Manager

@Chilli_Pepper thanks for the suggestions, I’ll definitely look into it but may not be able to add every phone type as there are so many makes and models, they can differ. When data is completely switched off in the settings and Wi-Fi assist is off then there’s normally no internet connection, to result in a charge However, this might happen if an MMS is sent or an SMS with emoji’s, if perhaps the settings were overridden by that command (phone feature)  Although trying from my own phone that hasn’t happened to me and those types of messages will be visible on the bill as a “long Message” or MMS. As @Rose advised there is the option to turn data off at a network level. If anyone is interested in switching off Data completely, we can check their account just send a PM to one of the mods (me included) with the details. Thanks’

That's interesting about the mms bit. Once it's off from the account there can't be any more charges which is good. At least your answer gives an explanation. Thanks @Three_Rachel