Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5G is here! xD But... it's not working yet or what?

eclipse05
Investigator

5G is here! xD But... it's not working yet or what?

Hi all!

I am in the coverage of 5G. My phone is capable and set to 5G although I still can't get it to work on the new 5G that rolled out few days ago. What's the issue?

From some time 4G+ work nice. In Blanchardstown area I am getting around 500 Mb/s download speeds and 60 Mb/s upload. Proof - [ https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/6596210649 ]

But on Finglas it's still about 150Mb/s down at night between 2-6 AM, and at the evenings it's about 2-3 Mb/s which is seriously a joke 😄

14 REPLIES 14
billbond4
Leader

Your getting 5G,
4G+ would max give you 300Mbps on paper

Well... It says 4G+ on my phone and I've it from few months now... Can't remember since when, but for a good while it has been like that and Three just now introduced 5G right?

The other question... Why Glasnevin / Finglas RD still struggle at the evenings on the same 4G+ with speeds from early 2000s. I don't need much, but 2 Megabits a second is barely enough for anything xD

Ah it's a bit complicated but in the first wave of 5G or New Radio the signalling that your phone does to the network is done over to the 4G mast and the data will be over the 5G mast

Yeah three just started rolling out 5G the last few weeks.

In Finglas Rd that location is being heavy used by other users or it could be where your located that signal could have issues getting to your phone, try outside and see if it's faster

On Finglas RD speeds of 4G+ are pretty much capped at 150 Mbps like a normal 4G.

In recent times even 3G is being terribly slow around 5-7 Mb/s and yes, it is a bit crowded area. For sure as a lot of apartments around but in locations like that better infrastructure is necessary.

try outside and see if it's faster

That's pretty much useless hint.

The reason I said that, was to see how good is signal strength is outdoors and to see if your indoor position is effecting the signal.

Indoor positioning always impacts signal noise. I think no one would complain about not getting max speeds when hiding in the basement  
All testing that I did was on a router LTE Cat.7 with antennas while being 300 meters from BTS and 5G phone on the balcony while looking straight towards the mast.

BTW. Last evening. Around 9PM on 4G+ speeds were between 1,2 and 1,5 Mbps on Finglas RD. That's a nightmare for anyone who expects more than plain text from their internet connection. I was forced to switch to 3G. That way maybe ping is slow, but I got precious 7 Mbps which was enough to enjoy 480p on my streaming service. I am so proud to own 4K TV and being with Three 

Are you paying for the 5G add on?

Weren't they saying that it is free for all and not requiring anything additional?