Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

RCS now available on Three

billbond4
Leader

RCS now available on Three

Three Ireland is one of the latest service providers in Ireland to provide Rich Communications Services (RCS) messaging to its customers. RCS is basically iMessage for Android, and it allows you to communicate with other device-owners on RCS-enabled networks over Wi-Fi or mobile data. Messages sent should be entirely free, and they’ll integrate with your Google Messages application when sending messages to people. In other words, they act exactly like regular SMS and MMS messages. It also allows you to enable typing indicators and read receipts in your conversations while giving you more advanced features such as emoji reactions and sticker replies.

You don’t need to enable anything to use RCS – simply download the Google Messages application, go to its settings, and tap “chat features”. If it says “Connected” like in the screenshot above, then that means it is enabled and you can message other people who also have it.

Currently, Vodafone Ireland customers also have RCS, though GoMo and Eir do not. There is sadly nothing you can do to enable the feature, except for pestering your mobile operator to support it. For markets where SMS is used a lot, it’s an absolute game-changer. Admittedly, I imagine its demand in Ireland is not that high, given the proliferation of alternative messaging platforms such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp

Source 

https://www.irishtech.ie/rcs-three-ireland-launched/

11 REPLIES 11
Kevin123
Investigator

Is this only available on certain phones? I have tried the google messages app and beta app and they say that the operator is not enabled for RCS?

Have you updated the Messages app and Carrier Services app?

I have the latest messages app. What carrier services app? 

I have restarted my phone. 

Three will rollout that app, you will probably get it in the next few days I would guess

Ok thanks so they Three they have RCS but its not actually up and running yet until this app comes out. Any details on the app? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere?

I think for your case yes thats it.

Carrier Services is a google app, you can see it in your google play store.

What version of android are you using? 

Or do you mean they just need to release an APN setting?

Thanks Bill, I'm on Android 10 Samsung Galaxy A71. I've tried this with several people and noone could get RCS working, all different phones. I also tried the chat agent in three who tried with different SIMs and couldn't get it working himself. You have it working on your phone? 

Yeah its working on my phone

Sony Xperia L4 , it could just take some time for it to rollout to more people.