Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie

NFC

Highlighted
Champion

NFC

It would be nice to see this joined up thinking from the Irish operators!

UK mobile companies take aim at Google Wallet, want in on the NFC action

UK Mobile Company Payment Platform

Oh Google, you didn't think you were going to have all the mobile payment fun did you? While you're beta testing in New York and San Francisco some big names across the pond are looking to dominate the entire UK. Vodafone, Telefonica, and Everything Everywhere (a joint venture between Orange and T-Mobile) are combining forces to create a mobile payment and marketing system that will take on Google Wallet and Offers before they even get off the ground in the British isles. The platform will be open to all comers, including Google, (you know, in case it decides to make Wallet a US only affair) and the companies have pledged to keep customer data out of the hands of third parties. The project is still in the very early stages of development, but the mobile providers aren't dilly dallying -- they expect their efforts to bear NFC fruit before the end of the year.

via Engadget

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Champion

Re: NFC

As far as I can recall Telefonica spain had beta tested this in a small town. Seemed very successful. Actually efbman will be delighted:
http://nfcretailers.com/?p=49
Highlighted
Champion

Yea I saw an interview with the person from Telefonica that headed that trial up. All sounded very promising and the local retailers stayed using the system after the trial had ended. Still a stretch to imagine the Irish networks working together to get this launched in any meaningful time frame, but maybe I'm just too cynical!

Highlighted
Champion

Maybe it's not beyond the realms of impossibility that they could work together:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0614/1224298863725.html
Highlighted
Champion

They're all making the right sounds, but we'll seeSmiley Wink

Highlighted
Champion

Well they've got to do something. What with average monthly customer revenues in 2011 set to decline even further from a high of 48 euro per month in 2005 to 34 euro per month in 2010 (Source www.comstat.ie) they REALLY do need to start pulling together or else.

1.jpg
Highlighted
Champion

Oh I agree completely. It's the recession and the hope of government grants that has them trying to work together. I would prefer to see them pushing private compainies to lay fiber for our country's broadband strategy though. Mobile networks should not be the way forward imo.

Highlighted
Champion
Highlighted
Champion

Ah I know there is investment in it Cookie but what I would like to see is it being the main focus when the government is weighing in behind it. The mobile networks should only be used then when it is completely non viable to run fiber.

Highlighted
Champion

Well with zero cash in the bank (Ireland inc.) and a Singaporean Telco owning eircom and the entire state infrastructure Smiley Sad I wouldn't hold out too much hope. UPC cant very well do it on it's own.

Incentives are there and LTE may have to be relied on to provide what you're talking about as I just cant see fibre investment expanding beyond major population centres Smiley Sad