Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie

NFC

Highlighted
Champion

Re: NFC

UPC can't do it on their own but they can, with other operators, be encouraged to go further rather than just relying on LTE. I don't expect fiber to everyone's door, I just expect a bit more from the government than teasing everyone with theoretical LTE speeds that might never be delivered on. If I see a speedtest on a mobile phone hit 100Mbs in the next five years I'll be truly amazed.

Highlighted
Champion

Well with a good backhaul and sufficient masts LTE can deliver. But 100mbs speed...not a hope in hell. Although I'm sure it'll be able to deliver double figure speeds consistently if it's well managed.
Highlighted
Champion

So as I said theoretical LTE speeds that won't be delivered. Fiber can and is currently delivering those speeds, that should be pushed and not a technology that suffers so badly from contention imo.

"It will ensure Three remains one step ahead of the competition in this powerful smartphone economy by offering speeds of up to 100Mb per second"

Highlighted
Champion

So what would you recommend the government do? How could they encourage fibre growth? Honest question.

For me I see it that the networks are going to move to LTE for their mobile phone services and in doing so will also market LTE to Mobile "Broadband". And despite the fact that mobile broadband is thought by many to be quite poor it still sells like crazy. What incentive is their for the mobile networks to move into fibre fixed lines when they, as you can see below, see massive growth in mobile broadband? Source: http://www.comstat.ie/

1.jpg
Highlighted
Champion

I think I read that in the UK 3 is planning to run fibre to all of its masts. So if they have a great backhaul and LTE up and running, you could get extraordinary speeds out of such a mobile network.

Highlighted
Champion

That's what BT will being doing in conjunction with Three here too.
Highlighted
Champion

@cookie2point0 wrote:

So what would you recommend the government do? How could they encourage fiber growth? Honest question.

For me I see it that the networks are going to move to LTE for their mobile phone services and in doing so will also market LTE to Mobile "Broadband". And despite the fact that mobile broadband is thought by many to be quite poor it still sells like crazy. What incentive is their for the mobile networks to move into fiber fixed lines when they, as you can see below, see massive growth in mobile broadband? Source: http://www.comstat.ie/

People are choosing Mobile broadband in their thousands as an alternative to dial up and because there is no other service available. It is not "Next Generation" as the government would have you believe but I suppose it feels that way if you are coming from dial up or no broadband at all. To me for a National plan the goals are being set too low already. Double digit speeds is only a slight improvement over what is available and I have absolutely no faith in the mobile operators to deliver a 100Mbs connection. You always have "up to" included in anything to do with mobile operators which lets them away with murder! People get sub standard broadband but are happy to sign up to it because they have nothing else. If companies like Three are going to run fiber to all their masts, that's a hell of a network of fiber. Some scheme, be it grants or leasing, should be put in place where that fiber network can be used for fixed line services as well. The mobile operators will push for LTE to be the only show in town to increase their own profits. There should be an alternative to LTE. Eircom have 12000Kms of fiber ran already. Between all the fixed line and mobile operators if the right incentives were there fiber could be pushed further. The Fiber services offered by the likes of UPC already far exceed what is being proposed on an LTE network that doesn't even exist yet. As HD content being streamed is becoming the norm and the "Cloud"  is being pushed to store all your content, mobile networks will be left behind before they've begun.

Highlighted
Champion

If LTE was properly organised it could provide a suitable replacement to fixed line services. But? I dont trust the networks to not try to overload their systems. On a side note I have no faith in the proposed miracle that is cloud computing. Dont get me wrong, I love sugarsync access from my phone/pc but would i trust it if i was a business? Hell no. All it would take to shut me down for the day is to loose network signal or for sugarsyncs servers to be down for what ever reason. SO what would a business do? They'd install lots of NAS. So why do they need cloud computing?? Beats me!

Did someone mention amazon?? Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Champion

As you know I'm cynical and the thought of mobile networks, what ever BS they are promising, being in charge of the future broadband infrastructure is disturbing. The cloud may come an go but I regularly stream HD content now and there is no way a mobile network could facilitate that and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

Fiber all the waySmiley Tongue

Highlighted
Champion

The fibre system thee/bt and others are proposing could give you that "if" Smiley Wink done properly. So if you dont overload the towers data will move considerably faster then it is. No you wont see 100mbps but you should easily get 20-30mbps. And this would be ample for streaming. I'm on a 12mbps upc line at home and it suits my needs. I dont game but I download music, films and tv and dont notice any lag.

I'm the optimist here. And all it takes is for one network to break the ranks and they'll all follow eventually. Look at the prevalence of free iphones, blackberry's and androids. Started by one network and copied by all the others eventually except one. I wonder which one didn't??