Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Hotspot with new Three plan not working

Hotspot with new Three plan not working

Has anyone had this issue?

Ever since switching to a new Three plan (unlimited pre pay) I've not been able to use a hotspot on my iPhone. I tap 'enable personal hotspot' and a pop up says 'To enable personal hotspot on this account, contact 3 Ireland'. 

So obviously I contact 3 support and they are extremely unhelpful. Telling me I have to contact Apple and that they can't help with phone issues. I explained that my phone and Apple support pages are literally telling me to go to my provider, and he said 'I understand sir but you need to contact Apple or go on Google or Youtube to find an answer'... there was a lot of back and forth as I tried to reason with the support agent, but he just kept saying he can't help even though my phone is prompting me to contact 3.

Insane. Anyway, hoping someone knows a way around this?

16 REPLIES 16

@Oleh_Pavlenko delighted to hear that the above settings worked for you, @Carolina_73382 can you try changing the APN to the settings in the screenshot to check if this works for you?

It worked for me, thanks to @Oleh_Pavlenko. After speaking on the phone to one of your Customer Support agents who was of no help and gave me an inaccurate information. 
If the phone manufacturer divert us to Three, how can this be an issue with the phone ?! 
You should train your staff better. 

Firstly I'm delighted that this has worked for you @Carolina_73382, I can assure you I have raised a pointer here that the agent provided the incorrect information and while the agent will be informed this sounds like it was human error on the agents side but I apologise for this. 

@Three I am speaking to your support on the same issue and they are saying something completely different to you? They say three do not allow hot spot? Who is telling the truth? 

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @Add_86631, I'm more than happy to clarify this for you. A Personal Hotspot or Tethering, depending on what it is called on your device, is a device feature and isn't a service that we provide as a network. This means that we are unable to add or remove this from the account compared to an add on or a service provided by Three.

While you may be able to use data provided by Three to use these features, these features are only available if provided by the phone which means we can't guarantee that you are able to use the feature. As you can see from the previous comments in the Thread we have users that are able to use hotspot on their devices however it can require changes such as making sure the APN settings are correct, if you ar e using Apple have you tried the settings mentioned in this Thread?

Works

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @Pargo, Welcome to the 3Community 🙂

Delighted to hear that your EU Roaming was working while you were abroad. As Hotspotting is a third-party feature unfortunately we wouldn't be able to guarantee that this would work while connected to a partner network when roaming.