Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Mobile signal gone from bad to worse - can anything be done?

Chrysanth
Connector

Mobile signal gone from bad to worse - can anything be done?

My husband's phone is an 'other' (Doro), but this seems the most relevant forum.

The two of us in this house have used a mobile each since about 2004, with O2 and then Three (always on Prepay).  We don't have this problem anywhere with a good signal (e.g. in a town).

The signal here here was never strong, but it's got progressively worse over the years.  At the beginning, it was sometimes possible to email a 5kb phone photo from our  'picturephones' to myself for viewing in my computer, if we took the phone outside the main house.

Then even that become impossible (not that I've any need for MMS these days; it's just an example).  I wondered if something had gone amiss at the mast, wherever it was, and in 2011 I asked o2 about it.  Their tech team did some tests, and concluded it was a handset problem (though we could get a decent signal not far from the house). 

I tried again in 2015, and think O2's tech team went into it more thoroughly than before, but it then ground to a halt as they were unable to locate our mast.

Quite recently, a Three rep elsewhere ascertained that our phone mast location is Leagan's Hill.  It sounded as if something in Three's internal information system might have become more efficient.  And it goes with other sources refererring to our mast as the Killybegs one, and with the direction our best signal comes from.  Would it be possible to look into our signal problems again?

Until quite recently, apart from the bad days I suppose everyone has sometimes, we could get 1 or 2 bars of signal here, or occasionally 3.  It's aways been easier to make a call, or answer an incoming one, from out in the conservatory than from inside the house.  But something changed not long ago, and even out there we're often getting no signal.

In the past, when we couldn't get a signal with 3G, we could usually get one by switching to 2G, and vice versa.  But we haven't knowingly been able to get any 3G signal lately.

Inside the house, incoming calls used to at least ring (even if they had to be continued outside).  But that no longer happens, which is making it difficult for people to contact us (e.g. the bank we're switching to is forced to use email, instead of a quick voice call).

We used to be able to at least start making a call from inside the house, but now it's always 'No service', 'Emergency calls only' or 'Network not available for voice calls'.  (Apart from an occasional flash of signal that's far too brief to make use of).

None of our changes of phone have made any difference to the problem, but in case it's relevant, mine's a Motorola Edge 20 Lite, and husbands's is a Doro 6620 (and our signal problems are identical).

3 REPLIES 3
Chrysanth
Connector

Something an O2 rep said in the 2015 topic re poor.signal, in case it's relevant (maybe someone can understand it!);

"The tech have come back to us advising that the address you gave and the cell IDs they check were too far apart from each other to look into it further".

@Chrysanth Oh no 😲 That's not what I like to hear. Pop us a PM with your name, number, full address, eir code, and date of birth and we'll have a look into this for you.

Thanks Stacey - PM sent.

I've been meaning for years to see if any improvement had become possible, but some other problem always jumped to the top of the list.  This one's now got too urgent to put off - we've got to do something to make sure we can do mobile calls at home.  (Preferably inside the house, like our WiFi LAN, for things that need phone and internet at the same time).  Being able to use SMS is also important to us (especially with all our relatives being in the UK), but at least those get received/sent next time we go out somewhere if not before.