Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

All About: 4G and Wi-Fi Calling

Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

Three_Shane1_0-1661326809544.png

I know that this is one a lot of you have been waiting for! So, I am delighted to announce that 4G and Wi-Fi calling is here! Let's break it down. 

What is 4G calling? 

4G calling is exactly as it sounds – voice calls over the 4G network, instead of the 2G or 3G network, which we used up to now. On a 2G or 3G network, calls and data are separated and can’t work at the same time. For example, during a phone call on a 2G network, any incoming text message will only arrive after you have terminated your phone call. On a 4G network, both calls and data work in unison, meaning that a text message will arrive instantly, even during a call!

Why do you need this? 

4G calling is the premium of voice calls. By using 4G instead of 3G or 2G, you will get a stronger, richer, faster connection. Did you know 4G calls can be connected up to twice as fast as before? 

Also, you can now call on 2G, 3G and 4G, giving your calls a great coverage range. With this added bonus, you will now be able multi-task… browse the web while downloading or making that important call! And if all that wasn’t enough, your phone will have an improved battery life. 

Will there be extra charges for 4G calling? 

No, 4G calling is a free service, with the calls being deducted from your plan allowances, the same as before. Your minutes will continue to be consumed by calls that you make. Once all voice minutes are consumed, out-of-bundle charges are applicable. To view and monitor your usage, why not check out our blog 👉  All About My3 and Bill Pay or if you are on Prepay 👉 All About My3 and Prepay.

What do you need? 

You will need a 4G compatible device, no other app or add-on is needed! Your phone must be within the range of a 4G/LTE network. You will need to activate the 4G calling in the phone's settings:

iOS – 15:  

Tap Settings > Tap Mobile Data > Tap Mobile Data Options > Tap Voice and Data > Ensure the 4G Calling slider is in the “on” position.

Android:  

Tap Settings > Tap Network & Internet > Tap Call > Tap to enable 4G Calling/HD Voice/Enhanced calling 

How will I know if I am on VoLTE service? 

For Android users: The “HD/VoLTE” icon will be shown on the top bar of the screen. 

For iOS users: There is no visual change. However, you can verify the VoLTE status using the steps we have outlined above. 

Wi-Fi Calling 

What is Wi-Fi calling? 

Wi-Fi calling allows you to make and receive calls using available Wi-Fi networks, when you have little or no mobile network. This is a built-in feature on most smartphones. No additional apps or add-on is needed for this, just the normal “green phone button”.

Keep in mind that the quality of Wi-Fi calls will depend on the quality of the Wi-Fi connection.

What do I need to do? 

Android 

Open the ‘Phone’ app.

Select ‘More’, then ‘Settings’.  

Select ‘Calls’.  

Select ‘Wi-Fi calling’. If you don’t see this option, it may be because your device doesn’t support this feature. 

iPhone 

Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Calling.

Turn on ‘Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone'. 

Will there be extra charges? 

Not at all! Wi-Fi calling uses up the minutes included in your plan, but please be aware that you may be charged by the Wi-Fi provider. 

*Note: Apple will not have Wi-Fi Calling until 2023.

FAQs: 

When will 4G calling and Wi-Fi calling be available for me? 

Not all devices will be compatible at launch, but keep an eye on our devices page here, for a list of devices available for Wi-Fi calling, or click here for a list of devices available for 4G calling. Once it’s available for your phone, it will be updated.

Will I be notified once it’s available? 

Yes, when 4G and Wi-Fi calling becomes available, you will receive an SMS to notify you.

I have activated 4G calling & Wi-Fi calling, so what next? 

Nothing. Once you have activated the service in your phone settings, you are all set-up and good to go.  

Is my device compatible? 

With the launch of 4G and Wi-Fi calling, not all phones will be able to use the service right away. Click here to see the list of current devices. Over the next few months, more devices will be added, so keep an eye on the list. NOTE: iPhone Wi-Fi calling isn’t currently available but don't worry, as we are working with Apple to get this up and running as soon as possible.

Why isn’t 4G calling or Wi-Fi calling not working for me? 

If you have a compatible phone and your phone has the latest software, contact our care team on freephone 1913 or speak with our messaging team to make sure that your account is set up correctly.

What are the T&Cs for 4G & Wi-Fi calling? 

Click here for the T&C’s for Wi-Fi calling. 

Click here for the T&C’s for 4G calling