cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking replacement iPhone6, unrecognised IMEI.

Lookout

Unlocking replacement iPhone6, unrecognised IMEI.

I bought an iPhone6 a few years ago and it was replaced by Apple as the sound didn't work. I've called Three a number of times to have it unlocked but they say the IMEI of the replacement isn't registered to me and they can't help. End of story. They suggested I ring Apple who said to talk to Three. So I'm stuck.

Surely there has to be some solution?

6 REPLIES
Tutor

Re: Unlocking replacement iPhone6, unrecognised IMEI.

If your phone was replaced directly by Apple then it should already be unlocked. Have you tried syncing it to iTunes with a SIM from another network in the phone? You may need to backup the phone and do a factory reset as well, sometimes that is needed on an iPhone when you change network SIM cards.

Lookout

Thanks for the reply. It was already restored to factory settings. It works when I put my wife's sim in as she's also with Three but won't when I put a Meteor sim in. I've tried for help in a Meteor shop and my local Carphone Warehouse and they both say the phone is locked to Three. But Three say it isn't?

I'd be grateful for any further help you can give me.

Edited to add the message that appears when I put a non-Three sim in.

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate your iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier store."

3 Moderator

Hey there, can you PM us your number, name, address, DOB and IMEI number? I'll check this out. 

Lookout

Thanks, have sent that information now.

3 Moderator

Thanks for that info Colin. Have you any proof from Apple of this replacement? An email perhaps?

Lookout

I have an email confirming that the repair was done and the phone sent back on 20/10/2015. It doesn't specify that the phone was replaced rather than repaired though. But If I go into my iTunes account, the replacement phone is listed as one of my Apple devices with the IMEI listed for it. I could take a screenshot of that or forward on an email about the repair?