Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5G NR Radio Access Unavailable at Site THR_GA0077

ajukearth
Novice

5G NR Radio Access Unavailable at Site THR_GA0077

I have a 5G bill bay on my phone, and I am looking into 5G broadband and testing possible connection speeds.

I looked online at my nearest (<3km) tower, which the report to the Commission for Communications Regulation shows as having NR radio service:

ajukearth_0-1711978007773.png

However, after multiple attempts, I can only get the 5G NSA system which utilizes LTE. The below screenshot is standard. 

433958432_401492775929631_7481270728288660426_n.jpg

Keep in mind, I can literally see the tower on a hill from my window with clear line of sight. Is the installed NR service on the tower broken, or inactive? The speeds are okay for phone use, but this is putting me off buying broadband 

3 REPLIES 3
Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @ajukearth  , Welcome to the 3Community 🙂

Delighted to hear you are considering Three 5G Broadband, I would recommend going to the link here and entering your Eircode where you will be able to see which Broadband plans are available in your area. When the plans appear on the next screen, you'll be able to confirm if 5G Broadband is available in your area.

When you are completing a speed test on your phone you will be able to see the speeds that your phone is receiving when connected to 5G however these wouldn't be the speeds that you would receive if you are signing up for broadband. This is because there are multiple factors that determine the speeds that you would receive and one of these is the equipment that you are using.

Hi Niall,

Yeah the link says 5G is available at my location.
I understand the difference in speed and signal strength depending on technology available, but are you saying that 5G to the phone is using NSA technology via LTE, and broadband would use SA NR technology? Or is it that a stronger receiver than the phone can connect to the NR signal from the tower but not technology in 5G ready phones?

@ajukearth, delighted to hear that 5G Broadband is available in your area. Currently, 5G Phone and 5G Broadband customers are connected to Non Stand Alone 5G broadband (NSA NR). While Stand Alone 5G (SA NR) is currently unavailable, we're the first Irish operator to launch 5G Standalone on a trial basis and you can read more about this on our blog here