Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Data roaming and keeping phone number active

SOLVED
berdarino

Data roaming and keeping phone number active

Data Roaming Query
First I would like to ask, to receive SMS abroad internationally (Non-EU), do I need to turn on international data roaming? I don't need to send or use any data, just receiving an SMS will do.

Keeping Phone Number Active Query

Second, I was looking at a couple of topics regarding keeping phone numbers active and I am still confused about how it is calculated, from what I understand from the link below, when there hasn’t been a top-up or a credit-reducing call, text, or data usage in at least 90 days, it'll be sent to the 180 days grace period and by then the phone number will be recycled, am I right? If this is the case, is it that within these 90 + 180 days I top up my credit, then the 90 + 180 days countdown will be reset right?

https://community.three.ie/t5/3MadeEasy/All-About-Keeping-your-Prepay-Number-Active/ba-p/783414

My last top-up was on 29th October 2023, and I've been using data roaming frequently until today (which depleted my credit). Then I went to the My3 app and checked my balance details, it said the Expiration Date is on 26th April 2024, which is 180 days from my last top-up. I thought it was 90 + 180 days? I did not see any 90 days anywhere.

My question is simple:

1. Do I need to turn on international data roaming on my mobile phone to receive SMS?
  2. To keep my phone number active, at what point do I need to top up?
  3. Is there a minimum amount of topping up to keep my phone number active?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer
Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @berdarino , Welcome to the 3Community 🙂

I'd be happy to help you here and I have broken your query down into the 3 questions that you asked at the end :

1.  If you're planning to only use your phone for calls and texts then you don't need to have your international data roaming or similar setting enabled on the phone. Once you have your network selection set to automatic, you will automatically connect to a network once you arrive and you'll receive calls and texts, similar to having Mobile Data turned off if you were in Ireland. 

Depending on your phone you may have a setting called Wifi Assist or Wifi Assistant. I would recommend checking this and turning it off while outside of the EU. This is a device feature that may allow your phone to use mobile data to help boost your wifi connection and incur charges if outside the EU.

2.  As described in the article you have linked above, you will receive a notification text when there hasn’t been a top-up or a credit-reducing call, text, or data usage in at least 90 days.  Once you receive this text you will have 180 days to top up or make a credit-reducing call, text, or data usage to keep the number active. So you are correct in your explanation as we message you as a warning after 90 days and then you have 180 days to make the valid charge or top-up. 

When you top up the credit will expire after 180 days from your balance if it has not been used as per the terms and conditions of your plan however this would be separate from the number going dormant that you were querying.

3. There isn't a minimum amount that you will need to top up by to keep the number active. If you have credit on the phone and you are looking to keep it active you can make a charable call or text with the credit already on the account also.

I hope this has answered your question but if you need any of the above explained further pop back here and I'll be happy to help. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @berdarino , Welcome to the 3Community 🙂

I'd be happy to help you here and I have broken your query down into the 3 questions that you asked at the end :

1.  If you're planning to only use your phone for calls and texts then you don't need to have your international data roaming or similar setting enabled on the phone. Once you have your network selection set to automatic, you will automatically connect to a network once you arrive and you'll receive calls and texts, similar to having Mobile Data turned off if you were in Ireland. 

Depending on your phone you may have a setting called Wifi Assist or Wifi Assistant. I would recommend checking this and turning it off while outside of the EU. This is a device feature that may allow your phone to use mobile data to help boost your wifi connection and incur charges if outside the EU.

2.  As described in the article you have linked above, you will receive a notification text when there hasn’t been a top-up or a credit-reducing call, text, or data usage in at least 90 days.  Once you receive this text you will have 180 days to top up or make a credit-reducing call, text, or data usage to keep the number active. So you are correct in your explanation as we message you as a warning after 90 days and then you have 180 days to make the valid charge or top-up. 

When you top up the credit will expire after 180 days from your balance if it has not been used as per the terms and conditions of your plan however this would be separate from the number going dormant that you were querying.

3. There isn't a minimum amount that you will need to top up by to keep the number active. If you have credit on the phone and you are looking to keep it active you can make a charable call or text with the credit already on the account also.

I hope this has answered your question but if you need any of the above explained further pop back here and I'll be happy to help.