Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Unknown app or process sending SMS messages.

SOLVED
bodonova
Investigator

Unknown app or process sending SMS messages.

Hi,

While looking at the detailed usage for my account I noticed that there were a few (3) SMS messages billed for that I did not send. These were fairly easy to spot in the list because I generally don't send texts and prefer to use Three's WebText when possible. The phone is also relatively new and so it was easy to check the Messages app to see if they were there, and they weren't.

Googling the destination numbers for these txts brings back results that indicate that these numbers are "high risk" or dangerous, so I downloaded and ran an antivirus/malware app which didn't uncover anything.

So my question is, is there any way to check any internal logs that may be on the phone to find out what app or process sent these SMS messages? As a precaution/panic I've disabled SMS messaging permissions for all apps except Phone and Messages. Are there any other steps I should take?

The phone is a Moto G32 running Android 12.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

Thanks for sending me the PM. I'm going to look into this for you, when I have an update I'll reply to your PM.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @bodonova I'd be happy to look into this for you.

Please let me know what was the number listed for these 3 messages, can you also let me know when you received them?

Hi,

Thanks for responding. The thing is I didn't receive them, I apparently
sent them, according to the detailed usage section of my account in
myThree.ie. I got the phone on the 13th of July and have been installing
and uninstalling various apps since then to try out and so I am assuming
that one or more of these apps may have sent them. The Play Store is the
only place I downloaded apps from.

I've sent you the three numbers via PM and I've also discovered the edit menu option, obviously.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for sending me the PM. I'm going to look into this for you, when I have an update I'll reply to your PM.