Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

I'm unable to send texts on newer phones

CGMobile
Novice

I'm unable to send texts on newer phones

I have a Moto G4 that still works and is able to send and receive texts.

I have a new Blu phone that when I put in my 3 simm can receive texts but cant send them. And I have a new Moto G phone with the same issue.

Is there some setting or firmware that needs setting up before my new phones can use my 3 simm?

9 REPLIES 9
Three_James
3 Moderator

Hi @CGMobile! Have you checked that your APN Settings are set up correctly? You can view what the settings should be like from our 3Community page here: https://bit.ly/384iklX  James

The link you sent me is for issues with accessing the Internet or sending picture messages on my smartphone. I can't send basic SMSs.

I did try the solutions and it's still not working. I noticed the error sending is error 38.

In looking at the solution, it mentions SIM card numbers starting with 8935302 or 8935305. Where do I find this number? My phone number doesn't start that way and I don't see it was part of my IMEI.

It did give a clue to go back to the working phone and look at its APN settings. Unfortunately, they are identical to the settings that the new phone was using and which aren't working.

@CGMobile Thanks so much for checking the APN settings. Can you also check your message/service centre number in your text message settings? Let me know what that's set to. Also, you'll find your 89353 SIM number printed on the SIM card 👍

I looked at my SIM card and it doesn't start with 8935302 or 8935305.

Where do I find the message/service centre number?

@CGMobile Hhhmmm that's strange, pop me a PM with your phone number, full name, address and date of birth so I can check your SIM. The location of your message/service centre number will vary depending on the make and model of your phone but it's generally in your text message settings.

I was on 3 chat with them for three hours yesterday trying to figure this out. They mentioned the message/service center number and there's no place in Android for this. I did some Googling, and it turns out I'm right, in a way. It doesn't appear in any of the preferences you normally see. You have to press the phone button and type *#*#4646#*#* to access it.

The said the message center number should be +353 86 800 2000 which I changed it to. That didn't work on the new phone. I was worried that changing the number messed up my old phone because when I tried sending a text again, it took longer, but it finally worked. The old number was +353 83 000 0800.

I'll play with this later. I was going to try on my Blu phone, but when you put in *#*#4646#*#* you get access to the service center number for sim1, and I need to figure out how to access sim2.

@CGMobile Good morning 👋 let me know how you got on over the weekend with this 👍

I'm no further. It occurs to me that the message/service center number is on the SIM itself, so it doesn't make sense why it works on one phone but not a different phone. I'm stuck at this point and just have to hope my old phone doesn't die.

@CGMobile I'd like to check your SIM to make sure you're using the correct message centre number, pop me a PM with your details so I can access your account 👍