Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Extreme Data Charges - Monaco

Add_09861
Investigator

Extreme Data Charges - Monaco

Anyone else experience huge data charges while visiting Monaco? I took a day trip from Nice &  I have been charged 10 times my regular bill. I did not realise that I was leaving the EU which was my bad (2 years of no travel and I didn’t cop as just hopped on a bus up the road!!) & that the charges would be so high, but I was not given an opportunity to turn it off. I got a message when I arrived in Monaco at 11:57 outlining the rates, then got message at 11:58 stating I had gone over my plan and that my services had been suspended. I did not even get an opportunity to turn off my roaming & in the space of that minute got charged 10times my normal bill. My internet got cut off then at 11:58 and when I returned to Ireland contacted the 3 support team, having spoken to 3/4 agents they could not get my internet back on so I went nearly 2 weeks without service until I got into a store where they managed to resolve.

Now as I have refused to pay the 10 times my regular phone bill my phone has been suspended, not even able to make calls to the customer care number. Going around in circles on the chat with different people each time & they cannot arrange a callback for me. 

Have never missed paying a bill before and continued to pay my regular bill…..just not this charge which I am disputing. Each time you try talk to somebody it is a different person. Can one person not just take ownership of my query? I am not sure how this is good customer service & how you can charge anyone 10times their regular bill?

6 REPLIES 6
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@Add_09861 Thanks for all the details above. I'd like to look at this for you. 

It's weird that you've been unable to contact our payments team, even with your account suspended! Have you tried calling from another phone? 

Roaming in Monaco is included in some of our BillPay plans, can you tell me the name of your plan?

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for looking into this. When I log into My3 now it says the below so I cannot see what my bill plan is called. I am currently in isolation so I do not have access to any other phone to make calls. 

Oops!

No Active Customer or Subscriptions were Found

When looking around the Three website it also mentions that a Data cap of €50 is automatically applied on peoples accounts? This does not seem to have happened in my case?

Thanks,

Rowena

@Add_09861 can you send me a PM please. I need your full name, number, address and date of birth. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Oh on the €50 cap, that's ex-VAT but there is an option to over-ride it. Is it possible that you opted out of the roaming cap at some point in the past?

PM sent @Three_Deborah.

No I would not have opted out of this.

Thanks,

Rowena

It’s mad that Three can suspend your phone but they can’t reconnect your phone or give access to My 3. All I want is to be connected in order for me to make a payment and start the process of getting my unlock code (after 10+ years as a Three customer), so I can move providers. Making a payment for a service I am not even receiving. 

Keep getting told to use another device. As outlined previously I am in isolation and do not have access to another device to place a call to 1913. Very frustrating. 

@Add_09861 we're doing the very best to help with this, and really would love to turn this around for you. There are different stages of suspension and the process is different for each stage. If your account is cancelled, ( no calls/no access to My3) it would mean we'd have to reactive your number through our payments team. It's very unfortunate that you are in isolation and I hope you get better soon.  We'll keep you posted about your account in PM. Please keep an eye out 👁