Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Warning text messages while abroad

Add_09763
Novice

Warning text messages while abroad

Hi - travelled abroad two days ago and received a text immediately when I landed saying I had reached 90% of my credit limit. I then got another straight after saying I had spent over 450 more than my plan add ons. I ignored both because I have my data roaming and Data connection switched off. I've just received further texts saying I've reached my credit limit and my account will have services stopped. Is this happening other people?
10 REPLIES 10
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@Add_09763 hi there, what sort of phone do you have? When did you switch off your data? also what country are you in? 

Let me know!

Hi Deborah, I'm in Canada. I shut off the data and roaming before I left Dublin. I checked online on my3 account and unbilled events seem to have nothing about the limits being hit.

@Add_09763 thanks for all that. It's strange that your My3 isn't showing any unbilled events. There are rarely delays with other networks advising of these charges. Do you know when your billing cycle/ allowances start? 

Add_09834
Investigator

I’m just back from a trip abroad (outside EU).  I turned off my Data and roaming data in Dublin Airport.  I got a text from Three two days into my trip to say I’d reached my roaming data limit of 50 - without pause I got another to say I’d reached 90% of my 250 credit limit. Call customer care and make a payment.  We’ve stopped services on your account please call customer care to make a payment. It has to be a scam.  The exact same thing happened to my husband last November when we were abroad.  I took screen-grabs and deleted the texts.  When I checked My3 my usage was the usual low usage on a fixed bill amount. It comes from legitimate number and asks to text remcap to 50232

@Add_09834 Hi there, can you tell me which country your travelled to and what sort of phone you have? Do you remember removing the data cap before? Let me know and we'll go from there.

I have an iPhone. I have never removed the cap. Surely it is a common problem as it happens so frequently. I took the trouble to contact live chat before I went to ensure all would be ok and I then turned off all data before the flight. I was in UAE.

@Add_09834 thank you for the info, I'd love to take a look at your account on our side. Will you send me a PM with your full name, number, address and date of birth? You might need to refresh the page or log out and back in again.

My main reason for posting was to try to get Three to warn customers to ignore these scam texts.  As I say, it’s been happening for some time as you will see from the original post that I was responding to. If you check out the 3UK Community, you can see customers there referring to this also. It is not peculiar to me and so my account details are completely irrelevant. You will notice the texts mention figures like 50, 250, 450, and 90% etc There is no reference as to whether these are Euro Pounds, or Units. It is a scam. 

@Add_09834 thank you for that. If these text alerts are indeed scams, I'd need to send your examples to the relevant team. I'll keep an eye out for your PM