Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Has my phone been hacked or cloned?

Leigh_39174
Novice

Has my phone been hacked or cloned?

Hi there - I have had 3 calls from genuine people saying they missed a call from me. I didn't call any of them.  I also got a text saying "your number is being used for a scam btw" so I'm guessing either the phone has been hacked or the number has been cloned. How do I report this to Three and what are the next steps? PS the phone isn't acting glitchy or anything, so I'm thinking maybe a cloned number. Can someone from Three come back to me? Many thanks🙏

6 REPLIES 6
Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Welcome to 3Community @Leigh_39174 👋

This is called spoofing. This is when the originating number is masked to look like a genuine number.

Unfortunately, if your number has been used in call spoofing the only thing we can do is to send the number to the relevant team but I can assure you that your account is safe.

Many thanks @Three_Stacey I've never heard that one before! I appreciate you passing it on, although I am getting at least 2 or 3 phonecalls each day now from what look like genuine numbers and I'm not so keen on answering them. As I run my own business this will prove problematic. Do these things usually taper off in your experience?

@Leigh_39174 This happened to me last November, after roughly a week it stopped and in my experience, this seems to be the norm.

Thanks @Three_Stacey that’s good to know 😊👍🏻

I've had this happen a few times over the past week. I don't know what to do to stop it happening 

Hi there, if it helps, this kind of died off after a while, but does go on for 2-3 weeks. On the upside I did have one particularly hilarious crossed wires conversation with one person so that was a giggle anyway 🙈