Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Roaming limited to 3G?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Roaming limited to 3G?

Hi all,

i have a weird problem, but it’s been going on ever since I can remember...

I am ex-O2 customer and while I have no problem with 4G in Ireland, for some reason while abroad I can never get anything better than 3G. Regardless of country or the network.

I did phone restarts, network settings resets. I noticed that my APN is still set to the old O2 (APN: internet), so I tried to change it manually to the “official” Three’s one (3ireland.ie) but if I do that, phone can’t activate data connection at all. Yes, the 4G is enabled in my roaming settings.

i wonder if I’m the only one who’s not getting 4G abroad and if not, is there anything I can do?

i just want to point out as well that my Vodafone phone has no problem picking up 4G abroad, even when roaming with the same network as my Three phone.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

3internet is what I have, try that one or open.internet.public  

I get 4G when I'm roaming as in it shows on my phone but I stick to 3G because it works better. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, the open.internet.public works, but again just with 3G. 3ireland.ie results in “cannot activate cellular data”.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  What about the 3Internet ? Is your sim really old or anything?

Anonymous
Not applicable

sim isn’t old, I replaced it last year. But the “default” network settings are still O2, I’m assuming this somehows keeps “travelling” with my number on the three’s systems (I was o2 customer until they merge us in).

Setting up 3ireland.ie as APN throws out error that it can not activate data connection.

I also want to point out 4G works perfectly fine at home, just not abroad.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous But what about 3Internet as apn not 3ireland.ie 

Hi @Anonymous you should be able to connect to 4G when abroad where services are available depending on the location and roaming partner. @Anonymous has been very helpful (thank you) but sometimes the account settings need to be changed so I can do that for you if you PM me your number, address and date of birth.