Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

3 TV app

3 TV app

As more data bandwidth is opening up with 5G, just wondering would 3 ever think of bringing out a TV app?
I.e. Irish and UK TV channels available as an app you can download to android tv or mobile device
3 Comments
LauraH
3 Mod Retired
Status changed to: Investigating

@billbond4 Good morning and thanks so much for the suggestion! Let me do a bit of digging around with the relevant team and I'll get back to you when I have an update 👍

LauraH
3 Mod Retired
Status changed to: Declined

@billbond4 Hi there 👋 I'm back to you with some news from the team we pitched your idea to.

What I've learned is that Three have no immediate plans to launch a TV app, however, it's a great idea. They've said that the biggest challenge in delivering a TV proposition is around securing TV rights from the likes of RTE and others and ensuring that any prop/service can stand up against the market.

With Covid, research has shown that customers are subscribing to more video streaming services and are more willing to have multiple subscriptions (Amazon Prime Video & Disney+ as well as others). How traditional TV lives alongside these shifting market trends is still to be seen.

Three are always looking at new and innovative ways to offer the best products to our customers across our network so be sure to post any other ideas (I'm sure you have loads 😁) and as always we'll be happy to pass them along.

billbond4
Leader

Yes the TV Landscape is always changing, even sky after all these years are removing Sky One.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1468391/Sky-TV-Biggest-Shake-Up-In-Years-Rem...

Sky is deleting a popular entertainment channel for all customers, including those who watch on Sky+ HD, Sky Q, NOW and Virgin Media. As part of its latest shake-up, the UK satellite firm is removing Sky One from the electronic program guide, EPG. But don't panic – there is some good news. While Sky One might be gone, Sky is bringing two new channels to your set-top box to replace it. 

Sky Showcase will occupy the same spot that Sky One occupied on your EPG. This all-new channel will present a selection of some of the most talked-about shows from across Sky's portfolio of existing channels, from Sky Comedy to Sky Documentaries.

For those who are familiar with the current Sky Sports line-up, Showcase will work in a similar fashion to Sky Main Event. The latter is a linear channel that presents some of the most hotly anticipated and discussed fixtures from the rest of the Sky Sports portfolio. Sky Main Event doesn't have its own exclusive shows, something it will have in common with Sky Showcase.

Sky hopes Sky Showcase will become a starting point for those looking for something new to watch. If you don't fancy digging around in the catalogue of on-demand boxsets, or trawling through hundreds of channels – tuning into Sky Showcase means you'll automatically find yourself watching the biggest new title from across the remaining Sky channels.

There is one exception, of course. While Sky Showcase will pick-and-mix from the rest of the channels from the satellite broadcaster, you won't find any exclusives shows from Sky Atlantic on the channel. Sky Atlantic is the home of the biggest US dramas, including Mare Of Easttown, Succession, Little Big Lies, I Hate Suzie, Chernobyl, WestWorld and Game Of Thrones, to name a few.

Sky Atlantic is only available on Sky Q, Sky+HD or NOW. While those on Virgin Media can access every other channel in the Sky portfolio, Sky Atlantic remains exclusive to set-top boxes built by Sky. As Sky Showcase will appear on Virgin Media TV 360, bringing shows from Sky Atlantic to the channel would be a backdoor for these titles to appear on this telly hardware

Next up, Sky will launch an all-new channel, dubbed Sky Max.

Sky Max’s launch schedule will include some of the biggest new shows coming to Sky, including the long-awaited revival of comedy panel show Never Mind the Buzzcocks, as well as The Russell Howard Hour, and DC Superheroes.

Meanwhile, Sky Comedy will be broadened to include Sky Original Comedy including shows such as Code 404 and Hitmen Reloaded, alongside a selection of critically acclaimed US comedies such as The Office US, PEN15 and Miracle Workers.

All of these changes will arrive on September 1, 2021. The new channels will be available to Sky customers at no extra charge, they will also be coming to viewers on streaming service NOW, as well as set-top boxes from Virgin and BT for free.

Commenting on the latest shake-up, Managing Director of Content for Sky UK & ROI, Zai Bennett said: “In this golden age of television, the sheer volume of incredible programming can be overwhelming. Over the last 12 months we’ve been making it easier for people to find what they want to watch.

"From September those looking for the very best of Sky will find it at the top of their programme guide on Sky Showcase, while Sky Max will become the new home of blockbuster entertainment joining the host of genre-led channels launched in the past year – so whether you’re in the mood for true crime, a documentary or just a laugh there’s always a channel to suit. And if you’re not sure what to watch Sky Showcase will have the best of our line-up from across Sky curated for you to find something new.”