Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

VoLTE and WiFI Calling

VoLTE and WiFI Calling

Three are the only network in Ireland not yet offering either VoLTE or WiFi Calling.

Even GOMO are now offering it

156 Comments
Alex_05081

Bump, as noted nearly everyone else including gomo and pre pay plans on Vodafone already offers this.  If 3 can’t deliver customers can choose many other providers.

Alex_05081

Hello,

I know 3 is a mobile first company but with the huge boost to all information and communications services would 3 consider delivering broadband over fixed line (eir fiber and Siro networks).

In this market three could offer a better service than many incumbents and with attractive bundle pricing could quickly convert may mobile customers to mobile fixed line and tv. 

Three could also use 5g routers and existing mobile broadband and give the same services to users who the fibre roll out still has not reached so could have the single biggest 3 play market available to them.

Yes eir, Vodafone Virgin Media and sky already do this.  

None of them have an unlimited mobile broadband deal like 3.  

None of them offer voip properly I.e. a smartphone app that lets you pick up your fixed line calls with a 3 data centre provided or on router PBX and sip client login details. Vodafone over charge for a sim based mobile data fall back.  Most don’t supply battery backup for emergency calls. 

On the TV front Vodafone insist on sending ab engineer to plug in a psu an Ethernet cable and an hdmi.  None of the providers offer instant set up with a smart TV app.  On the subject of TV in the fixed line space just delivering the content from Rte and the other free to air channels as well as a nice Netflix Disney+ prime video integration in a single app with a single guide would be awesome.  Given Netflix recent drop in growth Disney + challenger status and prime being leapfrogged by Disney they may negotiate a decent deal or two.  And if all else fails just make it v cheap or free and allow users to log in to integrate their vod subscriptions.  

Delivering that with decent support reasonably priced static IP would make 3 the best provider by a country mile.  

Yes a reasonably priced router/PBX(or sip client)/set top box with battery backup for the router/PBX and an jack to power the fiber media device does not exist off the shelf but I could build one with a raspberry pie a TI battery management chip and access to the sdks so I am sure 3 can design one and find a supplier.

Pam_247

Any update on when wifi calling will be available for three?

Every other provider in Ireland is offering wifi calling AND 5G coverage, I’ve never had a problem with three but I think it might be time to upgrade provider. 

Three_Aaron
3 Moderator

@Add_17490 Hey there, WiFi calling isn't available yet but we are working on it & hope to roll it out later this year. As this is already in the works I have moved your idea so you will be able to keep an eye out for further updates. 

Three_Aaron
3 Moderator

@Pam_247 Hey there, WiFi calling isn't available yet but we are working on it & hope to roll it out later this year. I've moved your idea over here to keep all the Wifi calling ideas in one place.

Gareth_67

I was also told in January when I signed up that it would be 3-4 months. My coverage is poor at home and this would really help. Any news?

Three_Bex
3 Mod Retired

Hi there,

Thanks for this. We currently offer fixed-line and VOIP for our Business customers. You can view full information on this here and here

In regards to consumer customers, this is in the works. You can keep an eye on this thread for future updates🙂

TV is an interesting idea however it's not something we currently have plans for. Although you can never say never!

Kildare_P

I had been told end of last year via the business channels. We're now almost halfway through this year and no sign of anything happening.

Mike_13088

no reception / intermittent reception for the last three days where i live - when will wifi calling be introduced.......

Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience while we worked on delivering this great service. I've got some good news for everyone that is keeping an eye out for updates. We're in the final stages of testing and if the testing runs smoothly with no new issues cropping up we aren't far from launch for our customers. I'll be sure to keep you all updated with any new information as I get it.