Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

VoLTE and WiFI Calling

VoLTE and WiFI Calling

Three are the only network in Ireland not yet offering either VoLTE or WiFi Calling.

Even GOMO are now offering it

156 Comments
Luke_67246

@Three_Stacey just some feedback on 4G and Wi-Fi calling after using it the last few months on iPhone.

The phone now connects Wi-Fi calling much fastest even if 4G and 5G signal is good, it also stays connected to Wi-Fi calling and doesn’t transfer to 4G calling. This is good and how id expect it to work.

4G calling works ok if signal is extremely strong but falls back to 3G way too often if signal is anything but very strong. EIR and Vodafone don’t have this issue and 4G calls works fine even on fringe 4G coverage with eir and Vodafone.

This happens way too often to make 4G calling useful as once calls fall over to 3G your stuck on 3G till the calls ends.

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @Luke_67246 thanks for reaching out to us.

I appreciate your feedback and I'll definitely make sure that this is shared with our networks team as they are continuously improving and strengthening the network.

Toryb
Investigator

Just checking in regarding SMS via WiFi Calling support.

What is the reason Three doesn't support this basic feature?

No WiFi Calling support when outside of Ireland, and no SMS over WiFi? Surely Three must realise how ridiculous these limitations & lack of support are!

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @Toryb , Wifi Calling is available on the network and this would require Wifi Calling being provisioned on your account and the device that you are using having the capabilities for Wifi Calling. 

Toryb
Investigator

Hey @Three_Niall, thanks for the reply.

I am aware WiFi Calling is available. I use the feature. The point of my message was to state that Three intentionally does not support SMS messaging via WiFi Calling, and does not support WiFi Calling when outside of Ireland.

This means I cannot SMS while in airplane mode, can't receive 2FA codes when I have only WiFi in my home, can't make a free call while outside of Europe...

These are absurd limitations which should be improved as quickly as possible.

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @Toryb,  thanks for your patience as I have been speaking to the relevant teams about your query. They have confirmed that Wi-Fi calling is currently only available within the Republic of Ireland and there aren't plans in the pipeline to change this. You can view more information about Wi-Fi Calling here

I have also spoken to the team about sending SMS while you are using Wi-Fi calling. Currently, SMS is available when using Wi-fi calling only on Android devices within the Republic of Ireland. The SMS service over Wi-Fi Calling is currently not supported on Apple devices however this is in the pipeline and should be available on Apple devices in Autumn 2024.

If you are using an Android device and the SMS over Wi-Fi Calling is not working pop through to us here on PM and I can raise a case for you.