Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

VoLTE and WiFI Calling

VoLTE and WiFI Calling

Three are the only network in Ireland not yet offering either VoLTE or WiFi Calling.

Even GOMO are now offering it

156 Comments
Luke_67246

@Three_Shane1 @Three_Stacey SMS over Wi-Fi calling isn’t working for me either on iPhone with iOS 16.4.1. Wi-Fi calling works fine and so does VoLTE.

Michael_01667
Investigator

Hi Shane, thanks for looking into it. Yes my wifi calling is working well. It’s just the sms service that isn’t working at all on wifi calling 

Torbell

I just got a new iPhone. My old iPhone had WiFi calling just fine for a while. Now on the new phone, it says “to allow WiFi Calling on this account, contact Three”

Kildare_P

The network has really gone to pot the last 48 hours. Two different phones and in multiple areas around Kildare. 

VoLTE calls are a garbled mess, which drops quickly down to 2G even in good 4G areas and then the call will usually drop altogether shortly after. Very frustrating. 

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

@Torbell I just saw your PM there and have reviewed your account. Can you please power down your phone for a couple of minutes to allow the changes I have made to update on your end? Once you switch the phone back on please try again. Let me know how you get on especially if you have any difficulties.

@Kildare_P This is not what I like to hear. Are you still having difficulties with your service?

Kildare_P

Hi Stacey. I got onto Twitter support who recommended a new SIM as a first step but it had improved itself before then anyway.

The network is still pushing voice calls down to 2G extremely quickly for no apparent reason - if I drive my usual route streaming music or online radio and I have 2-4 bars of 4G the whole time, do the same route while on a call and it will end up on 2G a minute into the call where it will then sit until I hang up. 2G voice sounds awful in comparison to 3G or 4G and it also kills data so Google Maps goes oldschool satnav style with no live traffic info. 

A vodafone SIM on the same route has no such issues, even on 1 bar it will happily sit on 4G for voice calls which are perfectly clear and no breaking up. I wish my 3 SIM would do similar! 

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Humm, that's strange @Kildare_P. Can you pop me a PM with the below details so that I can get the technical team to have a look at this for us.

Name, number, address and date of birth

Times and dates when you experienced difficulties and when it works well

Location, what is your usual route

Make and model of your phone

Michael_01667
Investigator

Hi @Three_Stacey any update on Wi-Fi calling supporting sms services? Thank you 

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi there @Michael_01667 nothing as of yet. We reached out to our technical team and asked that they investigate the difficulties that were highlighted on this thread.

As soon as they have an update we'll post it here.

Michael_01667
Investigator

@Three_Stacey Thank you 😀