Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

VoLTE and WiFI Calling

VoLTE and WiFI Calling

Three are the only network in Ireland not yet offering either VoLTE or WiFi Calling.

Even GOMO are now offering it

156 Comments
umm_15049

@Three_Stacey I am having the same issue mentioned in https://community.three.ie/t5/Ideas-Board/VoLTE-and-WiFI-Calling/idc-p/781911/highlight/true#M415 with 2 of my lines. Sounds like you were able to fix this, can you please look at my account, too?

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @umm_15049 I'd be happy to help you. Can you let me know exactly what is happening? Are you having difficulty activating the setting on your phone or are you having difficulties using the service?

Let me know so I can figure out the next steps 👍

umm_15049

@Three_Stacey Thank you. I get the error message "To allow Wi-Fi calling on this account, contact 3 Ireland". On both an iPhone 13 Pro and 14 Pro with most recent iOS. Tried support chat, but they did not even understand what I meant by wifi calling. You helped someone on this thread (https://community.three.ie/t5/Ideas-Board/VoLTE-and-WiFI-Calling/idc-p/781911/highlight/true#M415) with the same issue.

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Perfect @umm_15049 👍

Please PM me with your name, address, date of birth and the numbers. I need to have a look at the settings in the background. 

Michael_01667
Investigator

Are there any plans to support SMS on Wi-Fi calling? 

Kildare_P

Noticing some improvements since iOS 16.4.1:

- WiFi Calling now stays connected even if you have very good signal, which it didn't before

- WiFi Calling is seamlessly handing over to 4G/VoLTE once you leave the WiFi network and head out the door which is great. Of course, WiFi to 2G/3G will drop but nothing can be done about that until Three replace 3G with 4G 😊

4G/VoLTE to WiFi Calling doesn't appear to work in reverse.

Now if only SMS over WiFi could be supported and the network would stop shoving 4G/VoLTE calls down to 3G and 2G so damn quickly! 😁

Luke_67246

Agree with @Kildare_P  above. Seems to have improved the last week or so.

These are the two issues I have at the moment.

1. It doesn’t default to us Wi-Fi calling when indoors if 4G\5G signal is strong. Both Eir and Vodafone immediately connect to Wi-Fi calling and use it by default regardless of signal strength. My use case for this is I start a VoLTE call up stairs at the front of the house (strong 5G signal) then walk out back down stairs I get dropped to poor 3G coverage.

2. VOLTE calls getting kicked down to 3G/2G too often. One area in particular I have decent signal (2bars) and get 300-400mb on 5G but regularly get kicked down to 3G as I drive through. My Eir SIM will hold onto VoLTE in much weaker signal (1bar) areas.

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

@Michael_01667 This is already supported 😊

As long as the phone supports Wifi calling and it's enabled then the SMS is too. 

Michael_01667
Investigator

Hi Stacey SMS isn’t working over Wi-Fi calling for me. I can’t send or receive SMS over wificalling 

Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

@Michael_01667 Thanks for getting back to us. I've gone back to the team now to check if there are any steps missing to get WiFi SMS active on your account once they get back to me I'll let you know. Just to confirm with you also is your WiFi calling working for you?